Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom frame profile with Curtain Walls

NandoMogollon
Advocate
Hi Gentlemen

Does anyone knows how to use this option (see the image) on the curtain walls?
-how to create the profile, how to save it where to save it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Nando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.

I can't see CW frame, panel or cap option in the dropdown menu ... am I doing something wrong?
frame1.jpg
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Which version of ArchiCAD are you using?
Curtain Wall is available in AC12 and later.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Using ArchiCAD 12 with latest updates.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
What Library do you have loaded?
Is it the default AC12 Library or something else?
Does it work if you load the default ArchiCAD 12 Library?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, yes. It was a library issue. I had version 11 and version 9 loaded.

Still, after experimenting a little, I figured it's more trouble than its worth. All I really wanted was to make the cap and the frame of different materials, but creating a custom frame creates a ton of new issues.

Thanks anyway 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a bit off-topic, but what would be the simplest way to make the cap and the frame of different materials?
Jere
Expert
JasonCCL wrote:
Hi Guys
As a follow on to the very nice illustration above, you can download this guide (no catches, honest 😉 ) from here that is a little wordier and shows the 'next step' in terms of profile development. Pretty much the last 6 pages are untested by a lot of people at this stage but it works for me!

Its about 6mb btw.
Hi, can anybody send me this pdf or send me an updated link?
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jere wrote:
JasonCCL wrote:
Hi Guys
As a follow on to the very nice illustration above, you can download this guide (no catches, honest 😉 ) from here that is a little wordier and shows the 'next step' in terms of profile development. Pretty much the last 6 pages are untested by a lot of people at this stage but it works for me!

Its about 6mb btw.
Hi, can anybody send me this pdf or send me an updated link?
Have you tried sending Jason a Private Mail perhaps? Click the PM button below one of his posts.

I have a copy of the file myself, but it would be worth asking Jason direct just in case he has updated it.
Jere
Expert
I sent him a PM, but I'm not sure if he's still active on these forums.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi There!

I Have been trying to create a suspended ceiling with the curtain wall tool.

I have managed to create my own custom Junction for the suspension joint and i have managed a 600x1200 ceiling grid.

But what i am struggling with is getting the aluminium suspension T section Frame to work correctly.

I First tried saving the 'T' as a custom curtain wall frame, via save as custom curtain wall frame. bit for that to work i needed a curtain wall cap, so i tried to create a curtain wall cap that would simply extend the ceiling 'T' but it stretched it to the full width of the T.

I Figured I had to create a custom Library Part, similar to Lib.17 library part Frame 17.gsm, or Corner Frame 17.gsm. My First attempt was to simply edit the library part. But i know NOTHING of GDL, so that proved useless. the closest i could get was to save my 'slab' as an object, open the object and set the subtype to Model Element/Building Element/Curtain Wall Component/Curtain Wall Frame. It then picked it up in the context menu together with Frame 17 etc. but the new problem was that it did not place my reference point at the correct place. i tried using the origin, but that didn't work, i tried setting the offsets under geometry. but i cant figure out how to get it to work.

Please advice or point me in a direction of someone who can advice on the subject. I have tried finding posts about this, and this one is the closest i could get.

I noticed Mats_Knutson mentioned a curtain wall without caps... has anyone figured out how to do that?

Attached is the image of what i want to achieve.
3.jpg