Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Broken external file links in AC13

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are having difficulties with PDF files placed in our layouts. After transitioning from 12 to 13 we now find that PDF files that are placed in our project do not respect the original files they came from. Drawing manager shows them as missing, and an attempt to point them tot he appropriate source file only replaces them with a blank drawing. Before the PDF was missing, but the drawing info still showed (stored with file). We deleted the placed drawing and then manually placed the drawing again thinking it would generate a new link. But it still wont recognize the PDF.

Ultimately, we had to rename the PDF in the finder before successfully placing it again. Now the link is respected.

Has anyone else experienced this??
12 REPLIES 12
kevin b
Contributor
We have had similar issues but with linked solo files.

All of our masters are linked to a border file, starting from our template file this is a generic border but we have one for each of our repeat clients with their address logo, etc, the idea being you select the all masters in drawing manager, link to the proper client border file and they are all updated at once.

All of the client files have been resaved as AC13. And in the template all the paths have been relinked etc to the AC13 files. But when you select the files to make the change, it doesn't stick. You can select the files, update the files and they get the green checkmark but as soon as you exit the DM and reopen it they are all listed as missing again.

Happens regardless of which client border is linked to, whether its absolute or relative path, etc.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
Anonymous
Not applicable
We got similar problems. After transitioning from 12 to 13 we lost picture in layout.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I see there haven't been any posts to this topic in awhile. Does that mean there is a fix to the problem? If so, please let me know what it is because we are experiencing this same issue with pdfs and dwgs on several of our projects. We've found that if we move the pdf or dwg to a new folder we can relink but this is time consuming and is only a temporary fix because the link eventually gets broken again. A more permanent fix would be appreciated.
Rick Thompson
Expert
Do you know there are 2 ways to link an external file.. absolute and relative? I always use Relative as that allows you to move the pln and retain the links. If you move the linked pdf, or whatever you will just have to relink, but you can move the pln and retain the linking with Relative path linking. The only time I have an external link break is when I forget to set it to Relative, or I rename that file. You can also store the drawing in the project file, but you loose the updating, obviously. I have been doing this since plotmaker was integrated into AC for sheet info and details, and I never loose a link other than as about... well, it's rare at any rate.
Screen shot 2010-04-08 at 1.39.15 PM.png
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
kevin b
Contributor
We have tried both absolute and relative, neither resolves the problem. In our case absolute seems like it is the better choice because the things we are linking are border files or similar which reside on the server and do not move so the path is always the same.

I did get a call from someone at tech support, they seem to think it has something to do with permissions and the fact that most of machines connect to the server using afp however we have one windows machine that connects via smb. Something about the way the two protocols handle permissions differently may be causing the problem. He suggested connecting all our macs via smb as a potential solution, which is not something our IT guy wants to do so we are still left with the problem
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Rick Thompson
Expert
Oh yeah, that server thing.. I don't have to deal with that.

Since the TW was new this go around, it surly will get more reliable with new releases... one would think.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the response Rick. We always use relative for our links for the reasons you specified. Unfortunately, the problem is happening with linked files set to relative path. For some reason, without the files being moved from their locations on the server or changed in any other way, ArchiCAD is breaking the links to our pdfs and dwgs. The images appear fine for awhile but then suddenly we will open the file and the image window is blank. When we click on the image to update it there is no option to update, only to "Link Drawing to . . ." but no matter how many times we select that option and link the image back to the pdf or dwg file ArchiCAD will not reconnect the link. I have tried it through drawing manager as well but alas, no joy. Then, as I mentioned previously if we move the pdf or dwg to a different folder and change the link to read the file from the new location ArchiCAD will make the connection but only for a short time. Usually the next time we open the file the link is lost again. This is very frustrating and is currently happening on three project files that I know of. We too have been linking to dwgs and pdfs since it has been made available in ArchiCAD and have had few problems linking to those two particular file types up until these recent issues with AC13.
kevin b
Contributor
I feel your pain. In our case we have discovered that it will even happen as you are sitting there doing nothing. With Drawing Manager open, relink the files, update, get the green check mark. Sit and wait for a minute or two and they will magically change to red triangle before your eyes. Actually happened while I was on the phone with Tech Support, not that it helped them resolve it.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is happening to us in AC TW 14 as well. Has anyone come up with a solution yet?