BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Polyline vs line vs spline

Anonymous
Not applicable
I opened a vector pdf in Illustrator, then exported to dwg.
Dwg opens fine in AC with tons of Polylines and splines, even text is tons of polylines of course, (which I'm going to replace with AC text tool), before going back to dwg for engineer or mod for me.

First question is;
Do STRAIGHT polylines slow down AC more than STRAIGHT AC lines
and are these actually the same with different names?

2nd question, related to or same as first?
Is it mostly the CURVED polylines which slow AC down since these are more mathematically intensive? I also get curved splines in the conversion to dwg but those are far fewer than all the text polylines
and hence to not concern me so much.

3rd question is;
I like using curved splines to connect AC text to what I'm pointing at.
On a small residential file, is this likely slowing AC down verse using the line tool with right angles and the continuous line drawing method?

Hopefully what I've written is understandable.
lec
1 REPLY 1
Dwight
Newcomer
It is all about the number of nodes, a spline curve node being equal to about three ordinary nodes of data because of the bezier control.

Polylines DO manage more data that ordinary lines do since they understand enclosed shapes, stretching like fills do.

None of these issues matter much, but for redraw speed, you always want the least nodes. If it takes more than an augenblicke, you want to consider reducing nodes.

For instance, I often bring in Onyx Tree Pro trees that have every leaf drawn in plan view. These symbols take a few seconds each to redraw, so i substitute a circle in the symbol. The dance of the thousands of overdrawn leaves are morbidly fascinating. Sort of like when I cut open a golf ball and made the rubber bands inside dance with my razor knife until hitting the liquid latex center. What a mess.

My approach to manage excessive nodes is layer control, not node reduction. Isolate problem elements - only view those layers when needed.

If you are worried about using splines as label markers, you need a stronger graphics card because nominal drafting issues should not be a problem with a modern machine. They ARE worth the effort, tho, being so pretty.

Most slowdowns are caused by trace references and other gross redraw problems.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!