BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Two Mesh Tool wishes

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. Ability to create smooth curves when a meshpoint is moved along Z-axis. Like Soft selection in Max or Feather in Photoshop.
Look at the picture: The red-yellow gradient colour represents the strength of the selection - only the red points are selected, but the strength spreads up to the yellow points. Distance of the spreading is controlled by input in cm.

2. Ability to draw elevation contour lines according to changes in the form of Mesh.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
My main concern with adjusting the mesh this way is the way other user-defined nodes would be adjusted from their set height in order to give the smoothed appearance.

Generally I work with a set of points from the surveyors that define the measured heights at specific points of the site. If I created a mesh of these points and I were to adjust one to the correct height using your proposed method, all the surrounding nodes would also be adjusted slightly away from their true measured values, which I wouldn't want. These need to stay static regardless, and only move if I manually adjust them.

I would prefer if you could create and adjust all the nodes individually, like you can the moment without affecting any others, but enhanced by having some kind of optional automatic interpolation (smoothing) in-between to prevent the jaggedness in section. The orange line below shows the smooth interpolated line.

It could also be quite a cool feature to be able to control this per individual node, as well as over all nodes, perhaps in the height adjustment pop-up dialog.

It's about time the mesh tool was updated generally as it's more-or-less identical to how it was at least back in AC6.5 and probably before!
sedley
Booster
What about a MVO to turn off contour lines.
It would be ideal to hide the contour lines in sections and elevation.
That can't e hard.
Sedley Jeffers
St.Vincent & the Grenadines
Archicad 26 Full USA - Cadimage & Twinmotion
MacBook Pro M1 16", 64GB RAM. OSX Monterey
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am going to vote essential for this wish. However i would like to add wish No 3 after no 2.

It is essentially reverse of No2. I would be great if we could generate a mesh using elevation contour lines.

Usually when we start a project we order a land survey (in the form of a elevation contour map with other features like trees, existing buildings, telephone & electric supply lines etc.) it is really tedious to recreate the terrain using exisitng mesh tools especially if the plot in question is larger than say 4000 sqm (1 acre approx) or so.

It would save a lot of time if we could automate the process by generating a mesh from the contour information.

(-ps if a total station survey is conducted we receive the elevation contours in 3d ie they are actully elevated to scale)
Bruce
Expert
I agree that the mesh tool needs a revamp. Who knows - maybe in 14?
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
Please, do have in mind that meshes are used not only for terrain modeling. I use them a lot to make pillows for interiors!
Anonymous
Not applicable
using meshes for modelling pillows is interesting.

How do you shape the underside of the pillow?
Second mesh with negative thickness value 😉

Or second mesh as Bolean operator...

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
"negative thickness value" this is something new (and very nice) that I have learnt today

I have already tried it &
Thank You very much
Learn and get certified!