Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How would you draw this in ArchiCAD?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to draw this model I have made for a project at University. So far I have only drawn a 3D house in ArchiCAD, but that was made up from walls etc. What I want is a basic frame to show the shape and intersection of my model. Which tools etc, would I use to get it 3D

photo-6.jpg
82 REPLIES 82
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does it matter which tool I use. I tried it with ' Wall ' but it doesn't allow you to change it, Slab works though, should I just use that ?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
Does it matter which tool I use. I tried it with ' Wall ' but it doesn't allow you to change it, Slab works though, should I just use that ?
Yes, draw your shapes with something like the slab, fill, etc. I usually draw profile shapes with fills.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have created the Plan of is so far, trying to keep it as close the the model as I could. What's the best way to make the separate fills join together ( the round corner and the irregular rectangle ). Also how can I cut the holes in the fill as they are just a Arc created with the ' Arc' tool.

Do you think I should make all the edged more round and parallel to each other i.e top to bottom join intersect if you were to join a line, but the paper model is not perfectly round...

Thank You
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
What's the best way to make the separate fills join together ( the round corner and the irregular rectangle ). Also how can I cut the holes in the fill as they are just a Arc created with the ' Arc' tool.

Do you think I should make all the edged more round and parallel to each other i.e top to bottom join intersect if you were to join a line, but the paper model is not perfectly round...
Using the attached image:
  • 1) Join two polygons by selecting one, clicking on one of the vertex nodes, selecting the 'Add to Polygon' method from the pet palette, and space-clicking on the second polygon (hold down the space bar and click on an edge).
    2) You make a hole in a polygon by selecting it, activating the tool it was drawn with, and drawing the shape of the hole you want inside the selected polygon. For a circle, it is easier to draw a circle for the hole first (with the circle tool), select the polygon, turn on the tool it was drawn with, and space-click on the circle.
As for the polygon shape, it's really up to you. I can email the shapes I drew, but they were just eye-balled and probably didn't clean up the way you intended.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
NStocks wrote:
What's the best way to make the separate fills join together ( the round corner and the irregular rectangle ). Also how can I cut the holes in the fill as they are just a Arc created with the ' Arc' tool.

Using the attached image:
  • 1) Join two polygons by selecting one, clicking on one of the vertex nodes, selecting the 'Add to Polygon' method from the pet palette, and space-clicking on the second polygon (hold down the space bar and click on an edge).
    2) You make a hole in a polygon by selecting it, activating the tool it was drawn with, and drawing the shape of the hole you want inside the selected polygon. For a circle, it is easier to draw a circle for the hole first (with the circle tool), select the polygon, turn on the tool it was drawn with, and space-click on the circle.
As for the polygon shape, it's really up to you. I can email the shapes I drew, but they were just eye-balled and probably didn't clean up the way you intended.
I think the shapes I drew should work when it comes to multiplying and rotating them, but I can soon alter if, if it doesn't look right.

Thank You

EDIT: When I try to cut the hole, I press the zone tool and it just stamps a label over it. What am I doing wrong ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I try to bend the plan, it keeps saying: Screenshot.

Erm, What do I do
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
When I try to bend the plan, it keeps saying: Screenshot.
The Bend tool is only for bending Section profiles, e.g. where the shape is bent along it's length rather than across the surface. This is because it can be bent in more than one axis, which can be hard to interpret without the assistance of the tool. If you refer to the OBJECTiVE reference manual, it describes the differences between the 3 profiling types (section, elevation, and lathed).

You are creating Elevation profiles for this exercise, which bends in only one axis. Referring to the attached image, this bending can be controlled either by:
  • 1) Using an interactive hotspot to visually bend the profile, or;
    2) Setting a parameter in the object's settings.
And because these shapes are probably quite small, it's also worth paying attention to the faceting tolerances in the object's settings (see image).
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I will try that when i get home ( at uni now). Do you think I will need to alter each piece so that they intersect at the same point I.e the hold at each end. I think I will need to insert a rivet type object to make it look like they are joined together in the section diagram. Would this work?

Thank you!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Grrr, it still won't let me do it. I've even drawn a different shape to see if that makes a difference. I've read the Manual and it should work, I just don't understand why it isn't.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
Do you think I will need to alter each piece so that they intersect at the same point I.e the hold at each end.
Each successive object encloses the previous one, so logically it must have a slightly greater radius and therefore must be a slightly longer profile. In my first example, I made them all the same size and consequently you can see where they clash rather than overlap.
NStocks wrote:
it still won't let me do it. I've even drawn a different shape to see if that makes a difference
What happens when you manually enter a bending offset into the object settings? If that doesn't seem to be having any effect, send the object you've made by PM and I'll take a look at it for you.
Ralph Wessel BArch