Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

magic mouse!

aahatimo
Newcomer
http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/
looks great! will it work w/ ac?
i miss my multitouch pad when using apple ext keyboard, was considering some other input device, this may be it.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
71 REPLIES 71
aahatimo
Newcomer
agreed, i hope apple comes out w/ a software update soon! it appears this is only a device to get minimal trackpad like gesture on imacs. not sure why apple would remove features...
steermouse may rise to the task in november after they have the magic:
http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/news.html
on a similar note, how does one pan in ac using the mbp trackpad, have tried many combos only get zoom in and out. searched ac-talk, no result.
thanks!
tim hanagan
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
Anonymous
Not applicable
gutted! i was really looking forward to it. It seems apple might have even taken a step backwards, as surely this will effect a lot of different apps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
sdb wrote:
gutted! i was really looking forward to it. It seems apple might have even taken a step backwards, as surely this will effect a lot of different apps.
I agree completely.

BTW, I'm unfamiliar with the use of the word "gutted" but it sound great! What would be the american english translation? D A M N?

I think I will start using it around my friends and see what they say. Maybe I will start a trend..
owen
Newcomer
Yeah it looks great .. but as soon as i saw it used trackpad-like swiping for scrolling I knew it wasn't going to be good for most graphics/CAD apps - no tactile feedback so it probably wouldn't be as precise.

The mouse-formerly-known-as-Mighty-Mouse (now just Apple Mouse) just looks more useable for the majority of applications that have not been written to make use of gestures as the Apple programs have. The only problem I have with that mouse is the trackball getting gunked up and not being removable to clean. They should use a laser to track the ball rather than mechanical - it really wouldn't have made any difference to their cost and would have eliminated most of the problem

The supposedly improved performance of the laser tracking the surface under the mouse looks good though - i find the Apple Mouse isn't very good on smooth surfaces (actually doesnt work most of the time)
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
BTW, I'm unfamiliar with the use of the word "gutted" but it sound great! What would be the american english translation? D A M N?.
haha yea god luck with it.

Maybe they could bring an update so 3 fingers would be like panning? eg for right click you use 2 on the track pad, so 3 for panning would maybe work? it is a shame though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have always made the space bar the keyboard short cut for pan since my left hand is always on the keyboard. So hold down the space bar and move the mouse to pan.
aahatimo
Newcomer
jeff,
will try to do that when magic mouse appears.
can you pan w/ your mbp trackpad?
sdb,
maybe another button / corner will be able to be programed for 3rd button, eventually.
tim hanagan
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. The full method it:
1. press and release space bar
2. click with mouse or trackpad in the window
3. move mouse or slide finger on trackpad to pan
4. click mouse or click ESC to stop panning
aahatimo
Newcomer
thanks jeff!
took me a bit to figure out where 'pan' command could be linked to shortcut (alphabetical file structure in we). now spacebar lets me pan w/ trackpad.
may be a magic work around, cool!
tim hanagan
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jeff wrote:
Yes. The full method it:
1. press and release space bar
2. click with mouse or trackpad in the window
3. move mouse or slide finger on trackpad to pan
4. click mouse or click ESC to stop panning
Ok great. this could be a good work around. Mine hasn't been delivered yet, so can't try it out!