Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Design Options

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know about this function?:
http://www.cadalyst.com/aec/archicad-insights-design-options-3096
It helps managing different design options inside a file, which is something I hugely need. I'm tired of using layers for that, it is just messy.
Is it an 3rd party add-on which disappeared, or a hidden function or...
Anyway something like that is definitely needed IMO.

Regards,
Ollivier
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe that this product is dead.
Anonymous
Not applicable
it's really too bad there isn't such a function available, the problem of multiple options comes up all the time for me and using complex layer combinations or the redlining function is just too clunky a process.

After giving the big firms TW2 in the v13 update, it would be nice to see such a function future updates.
Anonymous
Not applicable
What do you use modules?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Modules are very tricky. I've tried with them but I never found them very convenient.
When you want to change the module you have to find again all the elements of it before you save over, and that is not easy if you have different levels.
Actually it would be great if we could edit the modules inside the file we are working in without unlinking and opening the group.
Then the module is not something that you can use in your layouts to present different options.

regards
Olivier
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Olivier wrote:
Does anyone know about this function?:
http://www.cadalyst.com/aec/archicad-insights-design-options-3096
It helps managing different design options inside a file, which is something I hugely need. I'm tired of using layers for that, it is just messy.
Is it an 3rd party add-on which disappeared, or a hidden function or...
Anyway something like that is definitely needed IMO.

Regards,
Ollivier
I think Option Manager is now part of Virtual Constructor.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree it would be nice to be able to edit the module within the file more easily.
But you can edit a module-file outside the main file. This way you do not have to find all the elements, you just have to save. also the module can be multi-story.
Did you know that a placed module has its own layer? To hide a design-option you just have to hide that layer. Make sure you change the layer-group number, so walls (and beams) do not connect to the existing building.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't know that modules have a "master" layer, thanks for the tips.
About editing the module, the problem is that if you are editing outside the file, you can't see the rest of the building, and so there is no point in editing if u can't see the impact.
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Olivier wrote:
I didn't know that modules have a "master" layer, thanks for the tips.
About editing the module, the problem is that if you are editing outside the file, you can't see the rest of the building, and so there is no point in editing if u can't see the impact.
i totally agree

a better (similar ) option is to have sketchup "componants or group" editing like tool :

when in your model you double click the componant ( module) and you can edit the componant inside the model whithout having to open the orginal module file....
it could be a great and flexible way to edit modules ( but don't know if feasable in AC)

PS: when considering the fact that constructor does not exist anymore , it'd be time to think to bring it back to AC
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
When you are working in a module you can have the context! Just add the main file as a module. Note that you have to switch on the 'skip nested module' function to avoid the looping of the model. (it won't crash your AC, but it will pollute your file).