BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Help: Walls Ht vs Story Ht

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I'm starting a new project. I have three walls that cross through the First Floor plane. My issue is how to 3d model with a minimum of 2d drawing redraws. What has worked best for you?

Almost all my projects have these issues, normally I create partial ht walls that reside entirely in their home story, but then I have tons of issues being able to select, modify or represent correctly in layouts.

I appreciate any sharing of how you or your office handles these situations. Thanks so much for your time,

Snap

See attached for three walls that dont live easily on one single story.
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
Options>Project Preferences> Working Units> Reference Planes.
Here you can enter the courtyard and the Garage as the 2 other reference planes.
Each time you insert an element such as a wall, piece of furniture etc. you choose the elevation and to which reference plane it is being inserted.

The cutting plane for any floor or ceiling view cannot be staggered. You will still cut through the walls of each of these three spaces at the same elevation height.
You can get the correct plan look by choosing the correct setting such as symbolic or projected etc for the walls and/or each element.

This has been discussed here quite often, so you might do a search for additional views and more detailed explanations.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
snapcrackle:

To add to Erika's comments, for options for the wall display in plan, search for Floor Plan Cut Plane in the ArchiCAD help files and this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika and David,

Thank you for answering my question even though it has been the
subject of previous threads. I'll be running that search now.
Reference plane is the cat's meow for this situation.

Cheers,
Snap
Erich
Contributor
Assuming your patio is made of a slab, roof, or mesh then you can also use gravity to set items directly on the surface without creating additional reference planes.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Learn and get certified!