Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Concrete Column and Beam Structure

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm pretty new to archicad, and I am interested to know what is the best way to draw and model a basic concrete column, beam, and slab structure. The columns I have run 4 stories high, is it better to draw these as one single column, intersecting with the beams and slabs, or should I draw them as separate columns for each storey, with the beams and slabs sitting on top of the columns?

Thanks, Jake
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
A general rule is to model virtually as it would be built. So, story by story is most likely correct if each story's columns support the floor slab above it.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did I hear correctly that structural engineering programs (like tekla for example) require tall columns to be split up by storey in order to be analysed? If you know you need to export your structural model in the future, then this might have an effect on how you model things. It would be worth checking to know for sure.
Karl Ottenstein
Jake,

If your beam and column pattern is a regular grid or arc structure, the grid tool can automatically insert all of the columns and beams for you.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Aussie John
Newcomer
Erika wrote:
A general rule is to model virtually as it would be built. So, story by story is most likely correct if each story's columns support the floor slab above it.
Rules are meant to be broken If it is quicker to model with one column for all storeys and you think there might be a chance they get moved later, then to me it is a no brainer to do all at once, especially if your model started at concept stage.

One issue might be if you want to 3d preview a single floor then the process is a little more complex. Also columns generally tend to get skinnier as they go up.

The theory that a model should match how it is built is somewhat academic for monolithic concrete column/slab construction.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Erika Epstein
Booster
Aussie wrote:
Rules are meant to be broken
So true
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18