Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

13 Windows: Where's the extra hotspots??

Anonymous
Not applicable
I always turn on the extra hotspots for windows (and doors). This allows me to easily place the outer edge of a window or door directly to the adjacent wall surface, and I can easily select the window. It seems as though the 13 windows do not have the extra hotspot option? It's not where it was in 12. If so, this is a huge step back for me. There already is no middle hotspot, which is ridiculous (unless you have the window marker turned on). How do you dimension to the middle of a window with no hotspot? You shouldn't have to have the marker on.

Can someone correct me?
5 REPLIES 5
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
In AC 13 they put a lot of global options in the model view options: look there for the extra hotspots.
The new options have some disadvantages, see:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=29697
Joachim Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 13.5 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
Erika Epstein
Booster
There is a checkmark in the middle of the window and door so you can dimension to it.

As to hotspots, look through all the settings in the settings box.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
Joachim wrote:
In AC 13 they put a lot of global options in the model view options: look there for the extra hotspots.
This is potentially great (screenshot attached) - no need to modify every window and door to get the hotspots to show.

But, it is a documentation disaster waiting to happen!! Suppose you dimension to the extra hotspots - for example to get outside of casing to outside of casing for adjacent windows. If another view turns off those hotspots, the dimensions jump to some other hotspot - giving bogus dimension chains and numbers. Turning the hotspots on again with the an MVO that has the extra hotspots on will not restore any of the dimensions. They are toast.

Associative dimensions are to hotspots, so this is 'correct' behavior - but is an example of why GS should NOT have put this feature into the MVO.

My advice: if you use the extra hotspots for any kind of dimensioning, modify every single MVO to make sure that the extra hotspots are enabled, and when you create a new MVO, similarly enable them.

As to the hotspot in the center of the window: that is only present if you have a window marker displayed, but the editable hotspot for the window marker only DEFAULTS to the center. It can be moved either accidentally or intentionally, and thus should not be relied upon. (In some older versions of the library, the window marker could not be moved horizontally with relation to the window, and so could be relied upon as a true center.)

HOWEVER, Erika is correct that there is an invisible (!!) hotspot at the center of the sash (at least the W1 Casement 13 that I'm looking at right now). That is, there is absolutely no visual clue other than that the mouse cursor turns to a checkmark in that location.

These are some seriously messed up issues. 😞

Karl
Hotspots.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Karl. I knew of the "invisible" hotspot in the middle, but for some reason I always have trouble location the darn thing..

The MVO hotspots are interesting... I never dimension to these so it shouldn't effect (or affect?) me.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Karl wrote:
HOWEVER, Erika is correct that there is an invisible (!!) hotspot at the center of the sash (at least the W1 Casement 13 that I'm looking at right now). That is, there is absolutely no visual clue other than that the mouse cursor turns to a checkmark in that location.

These are some seriously messed up issues. 😞

Karl
I complained about this at beta... GS didn't seem to think there was a problem with an "invisible" hotspot... if nothing else, I though consistency would be nice...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5