Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

I have zoomed out too far in 3d view and lost my building...

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a bit of a crazy problem!

I thought I was in 'walk' mode in the classic 3d navigation but instead was in the lateral move and before i knew it, my building disappeared. So I 'walked' miles and miles in the blue archicad landscape thinking it would magically re-appear but, alas, it is lost in the universe.

I thought atchicad had a 'Fit View to Window' button somewhere. But I could be wrong. I am probably wrong.

So how do I get my view back?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
martini girl wrote:"I thought archicad had a 'Fit View to Window' button"
There is.
It's at the bottom and looks like a soccer ball.
However you may still have to zoom in, as your model might
still be way off in the distance.
lec
andrewzarb
Booster
There's a keyboard shortcut too, which is Ctrl ' on PC and Cmd ' on Mac. The ' is an apostrophe (next to the enter key)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Andrew
Never used that one before.
Something new every day.

martini-girl
Good reason to start using saved views to work in, if your not already.
Don't think saved views always fix it, but should most of the time.
As either of the two methods mentioned won't get back the
same exact zoomed view you had. whereas your "saved view", (from the View Map) will.
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!

The soccer ball icon didn't work. I must have been just , too, TOO far away? So instead I had to go into 3d settings and muck about with the camera distances and angles and somehow managed to get it all back. Phew!!

Lec - I am intreseted in the saved view function but I've never used it. What does it do and how does it benefit?

But while trying to figure it out, I realised my marquee tool isn't working as it should. In fact its doesn't sem to to work at all if I am trying view in 3d. I recall in Arch9, I could marquee only a small section in plan and thats all that would show up in 3d. Now, no matter what I marquee off, I still get all the plan. Whats the story?
Anonymous
Not applicable
There has been lots and lots of discussion about this, but here goes.
And this is gonna be quick because I gotta jet real quick outta here.
Maybe someone can post a more accurate thread than this post.
Hope I don't botch the explanation too bad.

First you don't have to use saved views, but why not?
Some do it all in Project Map and layers/combos. I know two who don't use saved views.
But you loose easy control in my opinion.

What I do at least; is just start anything at all in Project Map of the Navigator, such as story one. There may be another way?
And if a story 2, start it also in Project map also and drag whatever over to View map (second from left in Navigator.)
General rule; Name and set things up first in the Navigator.

Then I only work in the saved views(1). Don't worry construction items
they auto update back to the Project Map.
It is in the View Map with the settings bar (2) that gives you the View Settings dialog(3) that you can control lots of stuff that is not available in Project map, such as; Pen set, layer combo, MVO, scale, Floor Plan cut plane for each view,(very handy), zoom factor, etc.
Check it out.
Hope that isn't too goofy of an explanation.
lec
Dwight
Newcomer
There is also the camera tool, where you place a camera in the floor plan in a plausible location aimed at the building, select the camera and initiate the 3D view. It will image that camera.

When you drive away and get lost, re-select the camera and there you are, back again.

As for the marquee not working: see new commands for 3D view selections....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats exactly how I did find my view dwight. Nothing else would work.

As for the new commands for 3d view selections, I am a bit confused about what you mean? Do you mean there is something else I need to downlaod to get my marquee working? I have followed the standard help section for creating sections through the building using marquee but it picks up the WHOLE building instead. I must have something set strangely...
Dwight
Newcomer
Those new commands are here.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
and for filtering whether the marquee cuts or selects.....
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!