Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL Scripting in 13

Kevin Motyka
Participant
I have been trying to create some scripts in 13. It has been very painful. Whenever I copy and paste errors occur. If I type the same line from the start, the errors do not occur. This never happened to me in 12.

To copy what I have already successfully input in one location and paste in another is a sure fire way of avoiding errors. All the work is being done within the script itself.

Any help as how to avoid this is greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Kevin wrote:
I have been trying to create some scripts in 13. It has been very painful. Whenever I copy and paste errors occur. If I type the same line from the start, the errors do not occur. This never happened to me in 12.

To copy what I have already successfully input in one location and paste in another is a sure fire way of avoiding errors. All the work is being done within the script itself.

Any help as how to avoid this is greatly appreciated.
Yes, it's completely broken - see this thread

How to avoid? Go back to AC12 until hotfix 2 is released.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm pretty sure this is only a problem on the Mac. I was happily working on a Windows XP, then moved to MacOSX and suddenly came across the copy-paste issue. I get around it by holding the alt key down and dragging a copy of the selected text. Very tedious, but you can drag from one script to another.
Kevin Motyka
Participant
Thank you both for the comments!
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Andrew wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is only a problem on the Mac. I was happily working on a Windows XP, then moved to MacOSX and suddenly came across the copy-paste issue. I get around it by holding the alt key down and dragging a copy of the selected text. Very tedious, but you can drag from one script to another.
Yes, in the link I referred to Zsolt confirmed that it was a Mac-only bug. However, I actively use both platforms to ensure compatibility (although I use the Mac more heavily by preference) so having one platform down is a headache I could do without. The workarounds just waste too much time - easier to do most of it in 12 and use the XML route to convert it to native objects for each platform.

AC13 suffers from another major bug that has cost me a lot of time too. If I'm working on the laptop and allow it to sleep (disconnected from the power), it often wakes up with no ability to recognise the dongle. Other software recognises that it exists, but nothing will make ArchiCAD acknowledge it. Usually the open project can be saved (but is sometimes corrupted), and all unsaved GDL work will be lost. From my perspective, AC12 is currently the safest option for GDL development (until the bugs are fixed - hopefully soon.)
Ralph Wessel BArch
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Ralph wrote:
AC13 suffers from another major bug that has cost me a lot of time too. If I'm working on the laptop and allow it to sleep (disconnected from the power), it often wakes up with no ability to recognise the dongle. Other software recognises that it exists, but nothing will make ArchiCAD acknowledge it. Usually the open project can be saved (but is sometimes corrupted), and all unsaved GDL work will be lost.
Thanks for highlighting this problem for us. I didn't know about it. I will make efforts to have this bug tracked down. I don't know its background but I hope it can be fixed soon.

Regards,
Zsolt
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
ztaskai wrote:
Thanks for highlighting this problem for us. I didn't know about it. I will make efforts to have this bug tracked down. I don't know its background but I hope it can be fixed soon.
It's one of the bugs I filed during the beta test - that should make it easier to find.
Ralph Wessel BArch