Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall trimming issue

Arcadia
Booster
Can anyone tell me how to resolve the trimming issue shown in the attached pic? All 3 walls are complex profiles and as you can see the reference line for the brick veneer wall is on the outside and the internal wall reference line has no chance of intersecting it. On room elevations and 3D I get 2 lines showing at the juncion because there is no trim. I know I could change the external wall profile so the reference line is on the inside of the wall but this would create other problems and I would rather it was on the outside.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the exact same issue, but have ignored it for the time being.

One because my floor plans will be printed out @ 3/32" (I know ), and second because I had much more to worry about.

I look forward to seing if anyone has a solution to this.
Arcadia
Booster
You're right ignoring it is an option and that is what I've been doing but its starting to get annoying I often have to use white lines in room elevations to mask out the problem and that is not really the name of the game.
KeesW
Advocate
Your problem has been raised many times on this forum and there are some very useful solutions on this site. The topic is covered under wall priorities and intersections but there is much more to it. I suggest you search Archicad- talk for Wall priorities and intersections and you'll find some clear diagrams to explain how it is done.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have always avoided that issue by working with an office standard that interior walls do not intersect or clean up with exterior walls. Therefore, there will always be a line separating interior from exterior which again will cover that issue.

But I do see your point regarding interior elevations. Since most of our interior elevations involve only bathrooms and casework, I guess we have not really came across that issue much. I'm interested in what others may say about this and their work-arounds, if any.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Arcadia wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to resolve the trimming issue shown in the attached pic? All 3 walls are complex profiles and as you can see the reference line for the brick veneer wall is on the outside and the internal wall reference line has no chance of intersecting it. On room elevations and 3D I get 2 lines showing at the juncion because there is no trim. I know I could change the external wall profile so the reference line is on the inside of the wall but this would create other problems and I would rather it was on the outside.
You could model just this junction using Polygonal Walls.
Or what is maybe a better idea, you could create the junction using a Column with a Complex Profile. If the various skins of the Complex Column are the same as the skins of the Walls, they should nicely merge with no line.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks for all tips. A search didn't really turn up the answer to the problem. It is only a minor annoyance and then only when a wet area room elevation happens to be on that internal corner so I might just have to keep masking out the lines when needed. Putting the reference line on the inside is not really an option for me.

laszlonagy's idea about using a complex column is interesting and I might try it sometime but the draw back for this is that the complex walls I use have differences in hieght between the external and internal leafs and a i can't do this in a column without a SOE (although this may not be really visible in the model just on internal corners). Whatever I do there is no point having a solution to the problem that takes longer than the work around of masking 2 black lines with 2 white lines
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can change the reference line location by setting the offset in the wall settings dialog to a larger amount (it's probably 0 now) You want to increase it for the smaller wall such that the reference lines align with each other but the smaller wall remains where it is as shown (the reference line will not overlap the wall)

ie. drag your smaller wall "up" so that it's reference line is aligned with the thicker wall's. Then increase the offset by the same dimension as that move.

Your walls should then clean up assuming the priorties and materials used in each allow that.

Hope that helps.