BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Copy a view from one file to another?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sometimes it turns out that one of our designs goes in a dozen different directions and I end up wanting to present them all in kind of a family tree format. This requires that I have the exact same view (Camera position, angle, rotation, shading type, zoom, etc.) in every file so I can reference all these views on a single layout to print as a poster.

1) If I knew ahead of time I was going to do this I'd just have this view set up in an origin file and save as every time the design goes in a new direction, but there are miriad reasons why this doesn't work. For one, I don't know ahead of time which vantage point will make the most sense.

2) I know how to copy a "camera" from one file to another. Sometimes this is the answer.

3) The big problem here is that these presentations almost always make more sense in axonometric rather than perspective.

4) For a variety of reasons we don't hotlink to a master file, but maybe I can hotlink all the files just for printing purposes.

So, to summarize, how can I copy an axonometric view from one file to another?

Merci
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can hotlink, but there is an alternative.
You can bring in views and layouts from one file and place them in the layout book of another file.
In your situation you can have one master layout book. In this you place the views and/or layouts from the other files.

To accomplish this, open your organizer from your master/main layout book i.e the one from which you want to print.

Have the layout book tab from this file on the right side of the navigator. On the left side, click on the button on the top left corner and choose the project from which you want to add a view and/or layout.
Drag and drop this view/;layout from the left side of the organizer onto the appropriate layout, or create a new one, on the right side.

This will establish a hotlink that you can update before printing.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is almost the solution, and a handy one that we use for most of our detailing.

My problem is not getting views from many files into a single layout.

My problem is trying to make sure the exact same camera angle and location is shared by many files. So when I put the views from the many files on a single layout the point of focus on the site will be seen from an identical vantage point in every file. I can copy a camera from one file to another, the complicating factor is that I want the end result to be axonometric.
Erika Epstein
Booster
My mistake.
Copy the settings of the axon view from the Parallel Projection Settings box.
Axon settings.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Jefferson
Participant
Good question! Is it E, or Mickey, or P

Often while developing schematics I have variations run of in a different directions, similar to what you're describing. My solution has been to copy/generate 4, 5, whatever number of models I need to represent the concepts, in the same file, spread in even increments from each other, X +200, Y -200, X +400, Y -400, etc. Then when it's time to create views I marquee the desired model and move it to the viewing area.........X 0, Y 0, a simple constant distance, [that's SIMPLE to remember and not screw up ] I usually have a mesh of some sort for rendering located at 0, 0. I create my renderings, elevations, sections and VR objects as needed. I then print those views into a schematic PDF 1, 2, etc. as well as generate VR objects. Then I move the model back and drag in the next one. The "keepers" are kept in separate files of each schematic for presentations down the raod.

This way, for me the views of each version are from identical viewpoints for better direct comparison. I suppose it might be simpler to move the elevations, sections, and VR object "dome" around the file. I have had better success moving the model than elevation, sections, and VR domes around and that's why I've come to this method. Layer control has to be monitored but beyond that it's simple for me to drag a marquee'd model around, or a copy over and start tweaking for the next good idea.....and/or trash it!

The development or schematic file is kept in the archives, the choosen model is left at X 0, Y 0, the other models are deleted, that file is saved as the working file and I'm off........

Not saying it's a good way to do it, just how I have been addressing this situation .........and it's kept me from having to learn SketchUp! Certainly someone has a better idea how to address this and I would love to hear it.......
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Although not written for me, what a great concept you