Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

creating footings for columns

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the best way to create footings for a column.
With the limited knowledge in archicad ,i think it can be done in 2 ways.
1) is to use concrete walls for the footings, and using a slab for the base on the footing.
2)use complex profile in wall tools .
29 REPLIES 29
Fran_ois Chatelain
Contributor
Thanks Karl, and with the cedilla, I'm flattered 😉
I know I could have added some "space-clicking" tricks for faster editing if one is to trace over an imported DWG

Cheers
Francois
François Chatelain
Worldwide Digital Imaging
Formerly posting as RanXerox
"A little bump will help blur your reflections"
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks François
and how to do the same thing for a step footing(fig given in previous post)
Anonymous
Not applicable
My first post

I'm just in the process of learning how to create footings - I followed Francois's step by step but how do you get the option "add new points" ?

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
kiwistudent wrote:
I'm just in the process of learning how to create footings - I followed Francois's step by step but how do you get the option "add new points" ?
Welcome to the forum!

With the mesh selected and the mesh tool active, draw some points on the surface of the mesh. Click twice on the last node (or once on the first node if you have formed a closed polygon) and the 'add new points' box will appear.

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I appreciate the process of modelling a footing of this shape, but I wonder about what circumstances suggest the shape itself. This shape requires formwork for the concrete. There are much simpler ways of building footings for columns, such as square pads that do not need formwork. However, if this footing is exposed to view, I can understand the architectural merit.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Im not keen on the mesh solution for the following reason. No sooner will you have created and placed all your footings when the structural engineer will have changed the design and you have to go through the whole process again.

Might be better to create one then make an object for the rest. With a model you could modify the script to turn off the 3d function which for the most part is redundant as you cant see the footing through the dirt any way and even if you can see them they can be rather confusing if not setout in a perfect grid.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I followed those instructions but I do not get the option "Add new points" - I get the little toolbox with 11 options (i.e add to polygon, fillet, elevate etc). Is it supposed to come up there?

I have the student version of ArchiCAD 12 - I followed the three tutorials but they don't suggest how to create footings hence me using the mesh option. It seems the easiest way to do it.
Brett Brown
Advocate
kiwistudent wrote:
I followed those instructions but I do not get the option "Add new points" - I get the little toolbox with 11 options (i.e add to polygon, fillet, elevate etc). Is it supposed to come up there?

I have the student version of ArchiCAD 12 - I followed the three tutorials but they don't suggest how to create footings hence me using the mesh option. It seems the easiest way to do it.

Kiwistudent, With mesh selected and still with the mesh tool selected and the rectangular geometry method selected, you draw inside the mesh and the add new points/create hole will pop up so can select either.

You will 99% of the time use slabs, walls, beams, complex profiles for footings. The main thing for new users to remember is that most tools can be used for other things and not just for their title.

If you are stuck on anything you can ring GSNZ on 09 4893235 and get an answer straight away. The quickest way to learn.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Got it. Thanks Brett.

I prefer using the forum as I'm Deaf so can't hear over the phone. Thanks though
Erika Epstein
Booster
There is also a library part:
Special Construction>special Structures>Basic Shapes>Polygon Prism.
Would this work?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"