Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Library Centralization

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cad goto person by default here. Getting to grips with the advances of AC13 and looking forward to rolling out TW2 as the normal way of working.
I have a question re libraries (but not GDL hence posting here):
We are seriously considering putting the Archicad13 library, as normally installed on the C drive, on our new server along with an office library in effort to avoid non-synchronised library issues among team members (rogue downloaders, lazy hotfixers and worse). Also we could then weed out unused objects from the standard library.
Is there a good reason not to do this other than a potentially longer loading time?
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
Angry wrote:
We are seriously considering putting the Archicad13 library, as normally installed on the C drive, on our new server along with an office library in effort to avoid non-synchronised library issues among team members
This is the only way TW2 will work.
- you uload to the BIMserver Library folder (you set this folder when you set up the BIMserver) any and all libraries you want available for any and all projects. You can also restrict by profile who can upload libraries to the BIMserver.

It is a separate step to load the libraries from the BIMserver library folder into a project. Again you can set who has privileges to choose the libraries from the BIMserver to load into a given project.

Everyone working on a project can then ONLY use the libraries that the project library chooser chose. And therefore the library path is the same for each user whether they access from within the office, at home or a seedy motel.

Regarding weeding out specific library parts you don't want office staff to use, that's a firm decision. I think most firms leave the default library parts available. They find other ways to instill discipline

If there is a change in the library, one or more parts, then all users have to reload the library the next time they open the TW2 project. For this reason, a recommendation is if you do a lot of customizing to load the libraries in folder format rather than an lcf or pla. This way only the affected folder(s) need be reloaded.

I am rereading this a gazillion times in fear of Karl's red pen.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Erica,
Clearly I need to get further into the new ways of AC13 otherwise I should have known this already! So it's good news after all.
I get the impression they released AC13 earlier over there (we got ours last week). If this is the case I must ask; Is TW2 all it's cracked up to be? Because I usually engage in highly innovative gymnastics just to avoid teamwork (V9, V10, V11 and V12)! ...Based on multiple previous painful experiences.
..Please say yes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
My impression was that any changes to the loaded libraries would require only a reload of the changed objects and not the entire library again. Is that correct?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I think only a file can be uploaded; LCF, PLA, GSM or similar. Uploading an open library folder was not possible when lately testing the TW2.

Hopefully this will be possible in the future versions.

--
Regards, Juha