BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad for Linux

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I think the linux market share will grow in 2005.
I usually work with OpenOffice 1.9, Mozzila, Gaim, Skype, Oracle 10g, GIMP 2.1, Blender, Dia, ArcGIS 9.0 software that run on windows and linux,
I would like to work with a version of Archicad for linux,

Now we only have Building Information Modeling (BIM) software in linux:
- ARCAD 90, from www.arcad.de - only in german i think
- BricsCad, (brings DWG to the LINUX community) beta version, from www.bricscad.com
and a old 2D Software - Microstation 95 for Linux
Does anybody know if there will be a linux version of archicad in 2005?

thanks,
Bernardino
153 REPLIES 153
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all

I use ArchiCAD9 on a virtualized Windows XP using Virtualbox on Ubuntu Linux. It works very well. However, I'd prefer to ditch Windows altogether.
nikoola wrote:
I managed to run AC 9 within linux with newest wine version.
It goes smoothly!

(with little toolbar problem I fixed with remove spacers.)
Stefan wrote:
Can you elaborate: did you have to modify anything? Specific settings in Wine? Was there a problem to communicate with the hardware dongle?
I'd like to know as well! What is the proper way to set it up? Would there be a risk of messing up the hardware dongle?
Anonymous
Not applicable
It was no easy to make it work under wine.
First ArchiCAD 9 installation is java program, and java is already some kind of emulation and I can't make it work.
What am I do?
I install ArchiCAD 9 under Windows, than copy complete directory structute to linux box under .wine/drive_c/Program Files, then copy all registry keys related to ArchiCAD under HKCU\Software\Graphisoft to wine registry.
Install native dlls using Winethricks and make ArchiCAD use it by setting DllOverrides in WineCfg:
"addonmanager"="native,builtin"
"attributemanager"="native,builtin"
"ftpuploadersupport"="native,builtin"
"gdl"="native,builtin"
"gdlparamui"="native,builtin"
"geometry"="native,builtin"
"gsdisplay"="native,builtin"
"gsmodeler"="native,builtin"
"gsquicktime"="native,builtin"
"gsroot"="native,builtin"
"gsutils"="native,builtin"
"gsxml"="native,builtin"
"gsxmlutils"="native,builtin"
"gszlib"="native,builtin"
"inputoutput"="native,builtin"
"jack"="native,builtin"
"mac"="native,builtin"
"modelergraphics"="native,builtin"
"msvcp71"="native,builtin"
"pixmapio"="native,builtin"
"qe"="native,builtin"
"textengine"="native,builtin"
"vbattrdialogs"="native,builtin"
"vbattributes"="native,builtin"
"vbutils"="native,builtin"

It should be all.
vistasp
Advisor
That's impressive Nikoola. What about the Wibu key? Does that work?
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Skip all that business
1) Make a winXPsp3 image
2) Install your AC 13
3) Save it as a package (maybe to a fast SDHD or Fast USB?)
4) Install your VMWare Virtual Player (free) in your linux distro
5) You're good to go.

FPS are slightly reduced, maybe 20-40% depending on your settings and gear, but tolerable 3D.

I did a basic test and review here...
archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=30229

I believe you can DL winXPsp3 as an image, legal, off various places on the internet, maybe even from VMWare themselves (I forget- I have my own but I remember seeing them out there, ready to go images for sandboxing codeheads)...

P.S.
I used to be totally PRO-linux for Graphisoft, but now I think they should sit tight and wait to see where firms like VMware go with their 3D research. and simply provide the crews their with TOTAL DEVELOPMENT ACCESS and collaboration to help them use AC as a standard for their 3d development in their virtualization products. I mean, why re-invent the wheel? Graphisoft already has this on the two major platforms! No WAY develop it for linux anymore. And I use linux distros more and more and more... but it firms like VMWare are NOT able to crack that performance nut alone, either help them or then finally consider it. I doubt there will EVER be an open-source based AC version though- too difficult and too many man hours to do. Especially with firms like VMware producing passable results in 3d more and more.
stefan
Expert
Or do as Autodesk does and instead of porting AutoCAD to Mac (let alone Linux) just announce that the application is officially supported on Parallels...

So support e.g. the Windows version of ArchiCAD running in VMWare or Parallels for Linux might be easier to deal with.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
Or do as Autodesk does and instead of porting AutoCAD to Mac (let alone Linux) just announce that the application is officially supported on Parallels...

So support e.g. the Windows version of ArchiCAD running in VMWare or Parallels for Linux might be easier to deal with.

I think it is easier to develop archicad for linux version, as it now supports MAC and Windows base of java runtime environment, so the first key is if graphisoft company will to do.
I think it is quite necessary,I need archicad for linux!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I for one am not a programmer, but after using AC 13 in a virtual machine, on the latest Ubuntu kernel as of 2009-11-04, I'd say we can wipe the linux version wishes off the map- it's just not going to be needed.

I'm a linux user, more and more and more- I only use my windows for media apps that, ironically now also run just fine in a virtual machine. I'm used to windows so I do it for the familiarity, but in the end, my linux distros are stable and totally rock solid, and my virtual machines can be paused and resumed and returned to various previous states.

Again I'd say, all Graphisoft needs to do is support the development of OpenGL for VMWare. Get the people in Graphisoft who deal with this to work with the people over at VMware and we'll have a product that far exceeds anything anyone else is doing anywhere.

Of course, it would ROCK to have a linux version, straight up. I could almost dump for good all my windows stuff!

I'd love it, especially if I didn't have to buy a new version but only needed to apt-get, dongle or key or phone call and good to go.
stefan
Expert
hunt wrote:
stefan wrote:

I think it is easier to develop archicad for linux version, as it now supports MAC and Windows base of java runtime environment, so the first key is if graphisoft company will to do.
I think it is quite necessary,I need archicad for linux!!
AFAIK, ArchiCAD itself is not using that much of Java but C/C++ and a custom way of handling the GUI. Java is mostly used for the installers and maybe in some add-ons here or there (if at all).
E.g. the DWG IO-libraries are from Open Design Alliance. They are cross-platform, so that seems feasible.
But the connections to Cinema4D, Artlantis and many other non-Linux applications will not easily be supported.

I know that they've looked at Qt in the past, which could really help them to get fully cross-platform and with the recent license changes to LGPL it might even be possible to use it for free, but that would be a serious rewrite of the GUI. Don't think many current users would like to pay for upgrading to a new version with another interface or maybe even less functionality, just to support Linux. Let them get to full 64-bit Cocoa on Mac first and then seen where they are.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad for Linux

NOW!

Everybody askin` for it

Do it!
stefan