Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

gdl learning

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi all Is the gdl important to learn ??
I like to learn it but it like not easy to learn
I dont know any thing about it
from any were I will star please help me .... tnank
13 REPLIES 13
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
I like all these books but... Be quite selective when taking advices from old books. They contain a lot of workarounds which go around already disappeared obstacles and their solutions may be replaced by simpler, safer or faster methods since then.

When confused, turn to the newer books or updated online sources.

Regs,
Zsolt
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow Zsolt!

Did I just hear that you are updating the GDL Textbook ´96?

That's some good news

PS. In the meantime every GDL line of the old Textbook version is still valid and working.

--
Regards Juha
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anybody got one they want to sell?
More than fair price and shipping to boot!
Monies no object, wait, I didn't say that.
PM me.
lec
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Juha wrote:
Did I just hear that you are updating the GDL Textbook ´96?
Sorry, we don't plan to write a book like that. We update and expand the Basic Library Documentation (containing Technical Standards) which is available online.
Juha wrote:
PS. In the meantime every GDL line of the old Textbook version is still valid and working.
Yes, all examples must be working, but No, the complex ones shouldn't be used and shouldn't be referenced. Now we have describing variable names, describing subroutine names, better macro calls, macro return values, integer variables, etc. All these should change the way you work with GDL - these are not only extra additions like a new body generator command.

Still, I think that the mentioned books are useful in the process of getting to know GDL!

Regards,
Zsolt
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...