Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What does this WARNING mean and how to fix it:

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I have had to reinstall Archicad after the program had a melt down today.

But when I opened my file I had this message when I went to view 3D: "WARNING! Wrong Edge List Direction in pgon 211." And gives me the option of STOP or CONTINUE.

If I hit continue then my system stalls and if I hit stop then it brings me to a 3D screen that is missing LOADS of my wall elements. The weird thing is that some of the identical walls are still there. You'd think if one had a problem, then they would ALL have a problem given they were created by multiple copying.

Clearly one polygon somewhere along the line has caused my file to have kittens but how do I find which one it is??

Hopefully someone is awake to help me. TIA.
20 REPLIES 20
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I would start filtering by Object name in the Find & Select Dialog.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know I have seen it before but at the moment I have searched but can't find Find and Select.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oops. Ignore me. Just found it.

Will go play now and see what happens.
Anonymous
Not applicable
What a great tool! Wish I'd known about that earlier.

But how to use it?

I've asked it to select objects. There are 1300 of them (!) and I tried to filter down even more by selected ones in the material I think may be the culprits. But it still says 1300 instead of, say, 40.
Wokka
Contributor
Object name, colour, size, section fill etc etc.
Lots and lots of filtering available.
It's a great tool to learn. Invaluable.
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wokka - it won't let me filter further.

I asked for 'Objects' and then asked for the choice of material "evergreen" cause I know I have some objects with that material. But it still highlights ALL objects.

Am I using this tool wrong?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would use the 'halving method'.
Make a copy of your file. In this copy delete half of the elements, and check. If it is gone then the error is in the this half. Delete again half of the objects and check if the error occurs. Note that you will always press stop instead of continue.
Wokka
Contributor
click the material button for more options.
Have a play with it and check the manual.
FS.jpg
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I fixed it!

I gave up on the filter. I couldn't work it out.

So I combed through the ENTIRE plan section by section using the marquee until I got it down to only a small section showing the polygon error. I then systematically removed each element within that marquee to see which made a difference.

Stupid truck!

Very tedious and slow and I am sure there was a quicker route to take, but hey!, thats the story of my life.

PS. I had to laugh when you said to check the manual. That thing is good for showing HOW to do things but hopeless at explaining WHY.
Wokka
Contributor
martini-girl wrote:
I think I fixed it!

I gave up on the filter. I couldn't work it out.

PS. I had to laugh when you said to check the manual. That thing is good for showing HOW to do things but hopeless at explaining WHY.
I agree, you need to know what to look to explain it. Don't give up on the Find & Select tool Like I said, have a play with it, (when you have time...) it's extremely powerfull.

http://download.graphisoft.com/ftp/publishing/ac11_help/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?contex...

Warwick Lloyd-Martin
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render