Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

help to learn drawing beams

Anonymous
Not applicable
i'm confused in drawing beam
which is the starting and ending points of beam? is it outer side of column or centre of the column or inner sides?
If i consider the out to out as starting and ending pts then what about the over lap.
really confusing for me

i have shown a image bellow somebody please give me a step by step for drawing the beams as shown in fig.
also a link to video tutorial would be great.
thanks

note:-assume suitable data
9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think it is easier to understand if you show the Reference Line of the Column.
The Reference Line shows the direction from the Starting Point of the Column to the Ending Point of the Column, just as in case of Walls.
You also have the offset value of how much the Reference line is offset from the Centerline of the Column.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Reference Line of the Column are show , but i am confused @ where to start , from centre point of column, centre of outer face or centre of inner face.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't see the Reference Lines in your screenshot.
You can turn them ON/OFF with the View\On-Screen View Options\Walls &Beams Reference Lines menu command.

In my attached screenshot you can see that the Reference Line is shown. It is a thick line with an arrow in its middle. The arrow shows which direction you created the Beam as it goes from the Start Point to the End Point of the Beam Reference Line.
Then there is the Offset value.
In the attached image I selected one of the Beams and highlighted the Offset field in the Info Box.
A positive Offset value will shift the Beam to the left when you are watching from the Start Point to the End Point of the Beam Reference Line. Negative value will shift it to the right side.
If the Offset value is zero, it means that the Reference Line is in the centerline of the Beam.
BeamReferenceLineOffset.png
Barry Kelly
laszlonagy wrote:
I think it is easier to understand if you show the Reference Line of the Column.
The Reference Line shows the direction from the Starting Point of the Column to the Ending Point of the Column, just as in case of Walls.
You also have the offset value of how much the Reference line is offset from the Centerline of the Column.
Oops
I think you mean to show the reference line of beams instead of columns.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
so we have to start the beam from blue pt (a) and finish at blue pt (b) shown in fig ,then when does things like Auto Intersection , beam priority come into picture.
beam pts.jpg
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Barry wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
Oops
Barry.

Yep, I meant Beam, not Column.
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Barry wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
Oops
Barry.

Yep, I meant Beam, not Column.
you didn't confirm my last query.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maybe you are a little bit impatient.
Also, you may not know that participation here is voluntary.
Also, you should try to look into the Help files because you are asking very very basic questions.

Back to your last questions:
The way you have drawn points a and b is correct: a is the starting point, b is the end point.
The Reference Lines of the Beams need to join in order for them to "heal" together".
There are things to know: e.g. if your two Beam are at different heights they will not heal even if their Reference Lines join because their bodies do not cut into each other.
Also, Layer Intersection Groups can play a Role. A Beam will only heal with another Beam if that other Beam is on a layer with the same Layer Intersection Group number. Those can be set in the Layer Settings Dialog.
Also, in the Options\Project Preferences\Construction Elements Dialog, you can set options about how Beam should intersect with Columns and Walls.
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes i was a little bit impatient. i am struck on beams for last 3 days now.
i know that participation here is voluntary, but i though it was a oversight on your part.
i went through the help files and that's how i came to know about auto intersection, but i was little confused.
thanks