Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Realistic Wall Washer Lighting

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there i was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of the best way to render ( for example ) say you have a kitchen bench with cupboards above, against a wall. and you want a recessed flourescent tube or led lighting the full length of the bench in a nice continous even lighting pattern, obviously the AC individual lights are no good at this, can you use the lightworks window opening type object and rotate it so the light shines down onto your bench giving a realistic look for a rendering?
regards 😃
9 REPLIES 9
Dwight
Newcomer
If you need shadows cast, use a lightcone down with a large origin circle.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
that is definitley the look im after the only thing im worried about is that with a large origin size will the light source still be circular? i.e if i have thin cupboards and walls, will the giant diameter circle light up the other side of the wall also, or can the light source be made like a very narrow ellipse?
Dwight
Newcomer
You'd set it up for a single view because the circle is set into the wall.

If you are about to learn LightWorks rendering, let me suggest my book....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok i tried it out but there are still a couple of problems it leaves a circular shadowing shape on the floor and for some reason doesnt light up the wall right beside it

*WISH* i wish the archicad material "lamp" could be applied to an object to emit light and any object placed near it caused the shadows and refractions and you could just adjust the slabs light settings like you would a light object */WISH*

Also i figured out you can solid element operator a light by subtracting a slab from the light object it takes about 12 times longer to render though *gasp*

why is it so hard to achive such a simple result?
i tried shrinking some of the existing light tubes but it doesnt go small enough for the results im after

:edit
also the circular light half way through walls wont give the correct lighting im after for a walkthrough

also maybe i need to reduce the default ambient light settings when im adding lights in to make them look better?

does C4D or 3DSMAX or ART*L have the same issues adding a rectangular light source?
Dwight
Newcomer
MY advice:

Buy Artlantis immediately.
Speed, simplicity, ease of file exchange.
Get my Artlantis book where things like this appear regarding glowing tubes:
neon in the tube.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
And this, again in Artlantis, for continuous glow like what you want Archicad's "lamp" material to do.

Sorry to be a harpy, but you'll have vastly better results in minutes rather than fighting with Lightworks.
Sloan's Hallway .jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
so what your saying for a program called "lightworks" the light doesnt really work too flash LOL

ok well i guess i could try one of those trial versions of of artlantis
Dwight
Newcomer
Nevermind LOL.

ROFLOL!

ROFLOLUD!!!

Demo an excellent choice! Just make your renderings taller and cut off the demo logo later.

As for LightWorks being lousy, blame Graphisoft for their implementation of the world's most widely-used rendering application. GDL language and backwards compatibility have been issues requiring more resources than GS are prepared to commit....

I have given up on GS in the rendering realm since, many years ago - before LightWorks, I challenged one of their officers on the poverty of Archicad's textures.

It was a Marie Antoinette moment: "Let them buy the Artlantis shaders."

TTBAKSHA!!!
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
KSHA?