Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Drawing Name missing in Layout folder...

Anonymous
Not applicable
For some reason I have the Drawing Name missing randomly in Navigator (> empty fields) and the Drawing Name automatic text is not visible. Updating Drawing Manager does not help: I can only delete and replace the views to solve this issue. This happens to few AC11-12 files.

Any idea what's causing this behavior?
9 REPLIES 9
Erika Epstein
Booster
Can you post a screenshot of your Navigator showing the randomly missing drawing names and for one of these drawings its settings the box where the name of the drawing is set.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika, this is what I get
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the normal situation
Anonymous
Not applicable
All views affected have the status embedded and it happens to Masters also : f.e. business logo
Anonymous
Not applicable
So it does only affect drawings, then is the link to the original view still intact? Maybe relinking the drawing to the correct view might solve the problem?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Joeri wrote:
Erika, this is what I get
Joeri:

In regards to your image "Afbeelding 7.png", something seems really wrong. Under "Drawing Name:" you have "By source file", but this should only appear for an external file, but your screen shot shows "Internal" under "Source File:". This is illustrated in the Help files under User Interface Reference : Tool Settings Dialog Boxes : Drawing Tool Settings > Drawing Identification Panel. Do you think there is a problem with the external file?

From the Help files
Drawing Name: Choose a method for assigning a Name to this Drawing. If the source of the placed drawing is an ArchiCAD view, the following choices are available:
• By View: Name only
• By View: ID + Name
• Custom
If the source of the placed Drawing is an external file, the following choices are available:
• By Source file
• Custom

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David, indeed something is very wrong : I have no external views in the file.
The drawing missing is "D VERDIEPING" and this same drawing is visible in other layouts. When I select the empty part the drawing is highlighted but no source file is found. When I relink in Drawing Manager this particular layout is updating fine. At some point in the future the link gets broken again...

Deleting in layout and replacing by a new view seems to be the only way to have AC act normal again. Must be some corrupt paths. Anyhow, did you see the date "Last update" of all my drawings? January 1970?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Joeri wrote:
Anyhow, did you see the date "Last update" of all my drawings? January 1970?
Not until you pointed this out, which may indicate a corrupt preference file, you could try: Preferences Cleaning, but this is a guess.

You could also try to open a new project and using it just for the layouts by linking back to your original file, or trying a Forward Merge on the original file to see if that helps, again, just shots on the dark. Sorry I don't have anything definitive.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erika Epstein
Booster
Joeri wrote:
Anyhow, did you see the date "Last update" of all my drawings? January 1970?
A little off-topic, but I was going to suggest framing the date
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"