BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How do I keep my AC models precise???

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everybody,
I've been using AC12 for over a year now, and still wonder what's the matter with my snap/guidelines/general input settings... I usually work with the Standard AC12 settings.
No matter what I do or how much time I spend trying to get a precise model, eventually I always discover errors! Lines that were supposed to be parallel, but are't, angles that are close to 90°, but not really...

Anyway, my point is: I've used AutoCAD (the Evil!) for over 10 years, and my models/drawings have always been precise. No eyeballing, good snap settings, and I all the precision I want.

Then I switched to AC12. Great! BIM, wow! But precise? I'd be more accurate with a pencil and a broken wrist! I just spent an afternoon trying to fix a preliminary design model, and after a few hours I've decided I'd better re-do the whole thing, otherwise I'll be dragging around these f***ing (foxing) model errors until the end of the construction site!!!

Is there an effective way maintain an acceptable precision level in ArchiCAD???

Thanks!

Enrico

...or do I have to buy a plug-in for that??
12 REPLIES 12
Erika Epstein
Booster
It is not just using the shift key but in conjunction with r,a x or y and typing in accurate dimensions.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
KeesW
Advocate
I am sorry but I don't agree with Erika (in this instance only!). We don't always know what our dimensions are at the design stage - when still messing with shapes and layouts. I expect the shift key to give me horizontal and vertical defaults unless I have set them differently. Sometimes they don't - and this should not happen.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Dwight
Newcomer
There used to be a problem with a temporary constraint set using the perpendicular/parallel command. If this deviated from the axes by only a degree or two, you could inadvertently constrain to the wrong line. That was trouble!

I can't replicate this problem in 13......

As far as accuracy goes, I have just imported a Sketchup model. Krikey!!!
How does a thing get off true by .59 of a degree?
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!