BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Decent internet connection speed for teamwork?

matjashka
Enthusiast
Hi, all

I read the "speed poll" thread somewhere on this forum. Interestingly, most people are still below 1Mbps for download and about 1/3rd of that upload (classic ADSL).

We've had two nice looking + smiling young ladies come to our office trying to sell us T1 internet upgrade. Our current ADSL is 5Mbps down--0.6Mbps up (Chicago downtown area via AT&T).
They were pushing for a "three times as fast" 1.5Mbps (apparently symmetrical up/down) and I told my boss this was not a blazing speed for a frequent send-and-receive to our other office located some 170 miles away. We would have to use the same speed at both locations, of course.

What do you guys think - from your experience with the v13 teamwork?

How much time does it take to v13-send-and-receive a ~30MB-60MB project over similar speeds in real life?
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
matjashka wrote:
How much time does it take to v13-send-and-receive a ~30MB-60MB project over similar speeds in real life?
Your current ADSL is probably fine.

A Send/Receive has almost nothing to do with the file size - that is the beauty of the new Teamwork. It could be 5 MB or 100 MB. Only the changes are sent and received, and you're usually talking about 100's of KB, not MB.

It is only the initial download of the project and libraries that takes time - the very first time someone joins a project. And, if the libraries are used by any other projects on the same BIM Server, they will not be downloaded again for those projects.

If people have laptops, and join in the office, and then work remotely, then you don't really care too much about that initial download. If someone joins from your remote office, then you may want a faster upload rate at the office hosting the BIM Server. There is no need for each office to have 'matching' speeds. Bogus.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
matjashka wrote:
We've had two nice looking ... ladies

Inappropriate comment.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
matjashka
Enthusiast
Karl wrote:
Only the changes are sent and received, and you're usually talking about 100's of KB, not MB.
If someone joins from your remote office, then you may want a faster upload rate at the office hosting the BIM Server. There is no need for each office to have 'matching' speeds. Bogus.
Karl, thank you for the insight. This is actually good news.
We'd probably need decent upload speeds at both locations, while different projects may be set up on two different servers.

If you'd recommend a SINGLE centralized server, I'll share that with our staff. Probably we'll end up with a centralized library on one server, and that's a good point about library downloads. However, it's always been my recommendation to put any modified objects in modular, smaller, and possibly project-dependent libraries. So no worries here.
Erika wrote:
matjashka wrote:
We've had two nice looking ... ladies
Inappropriate comment.
Banned for sexist remarks... is that my fate...

My apologies to Erika and other ladies. I understand your concern and will be more careful next time.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Erika Epstein
Booster
Thanks Matt
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Question for Erika, I completely skipped by the so called sexist remark.. was it really offensive or were you pulling our leg?

+pablo
Learn and get certified!