BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Quick Layers Palette ... wont stick with WE

owen
Newcomer
I am having a problem getting the Quick Layers palette to stick with my Work Environments. It is saved with both of the WE's I use but whenever I start AC or switch between the two this palette always turns itself off - every other palette is fine

I had the same problem in v9 but couldn't be bothered posting about it but ive finally had enough of it. Any ideas why this one is being so stubborn?
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
23 REPLIES 23
Karl Ottenstein
Dave wrote:
Link wrote:
According to Graphisoft terminology, the Quick Layers palette is not officially a palette. So it's visibility is not stored with a Palette Scheme...Crazy, but true!
Still the case with 13. Can someone from GS explain this?? How can this be either so tough to program or just ignored all these years? Ditto for Element Info and the others. Good grief.
Yeah, it is unfortunate. I believe the explanation that I heard was that the problem is that Quick Layers is an add-on, and add-on palette positions can not stored in the WE.

Maybe someone from GS will confirm or pass on the real story for you.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
owen
Newcomer
Karl wrote:
Yeah, it is unfortunate. I believe the explanation that I heard was that the problem is that Quick Layers is an add-on, and add-on palette positions can not stored in the WE.
Of course this just raises the question of WHY don't add-on palette positions get stored in the WE?

I imagine this is a bit of a pain in the a*** for Cadimage Suite users?
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you not just create a custom Quick Layer toolbar, just as Ben suggested in 2006? The buttons look a bit different, but the functionality is identical.
Anonymous
Not applicable
A little off the point but may fall under the same subject - I would like to add the offset action found within the Controls Palette onto my custom toolboxes for my WE template. I haven't figured any success beyond adding the "Show Controls Box" icon to my toolboxes. I found the command tag but it had that shared blue arrow (shares with Multiple Offset) and it had no function at all. I see that the Parallel, Perpendicular and Angle Bisector Constraints can be individually added to my custom toolbox but not the offset actions? Just looking for confirmation or a work around here. Thanks!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
ksymons19 wrote:
A little off the point but may fall under the same subject - I would like to add the offset action found within the Controls Palette onto my custom toolboxes for my WE template. I haven't figured any success beyond adding the "Show Controls Box" icon to my toolboxes. I found the command tag but it had that shared blue arrow (shares with Multiple Offset) and it had no function at all. I see that the Parallel, Perpendicular and Angle Bisector Constraints can be individually added to my custom toolbox but not the offset actions? Just looking for confirmation or a work around here. Thanks!
Try it again with your control box visible. You should see that clicking on it toggles between off/offset/multiple offset.

Works here in AC13. You're not trying to use it like in AutoCAD are you?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I used it all the time while with a previous firm. I loved it for both 2D and 3D elements (mostly walls). I would just splash a magic wand and then offset an entire path.

But my current firm has custom toolbars and do not use the Control Box palette. A few functions of the CB palette (perpendicular, special snap, angle bisector) are on the custom toolbar based off the Drafting Aids toolbox. But the offset one is not and I wanted to see if that tool/action is still functional with the CB palette off and be added to the custom toolboxes. Otherwise I may have to re-do an entire portion of the user interface to be based more off the Control Box than Drafting Aids.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Sure, well it works just fine. When you add it to your new toolbar, select it from the alphabetical list of commands in the WE.

Cheers,
Link.
Chazz
Enthusiast
A keyboard shortcut to invoke the QuickLayer palette has calmed most of my frustration with this absurd shortcoming.

More annoying for me is that WE does not remember the internal partitioning of palettes in places the Layers palette and the Organizer palette. I thought this was silly when they introduced dragable partitions in 12, but to have the same lameness in 13 is sort of insulting.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm experience a similar thing with QL palette. It´s there but it´s dead. Especially after switching between app´s. I have to switch it off and then on again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Quick layers Palette in AC14 still has problems. A week ago the last 2 icons on the right side were cutted out.
Learn and get certified!