Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

In Memoriam QTVR

David Collins
Advocate
From the ArchicadWiki front page:
"2009-10-14 - Graphisoft decided to discontinue QTVR in ArchiCAD 13. The decision was based on the fact that Apple does not support QTVR on 64-bit operating systems."

As one of its most ardent admirers throughout its lifetime, I was deeply saddened by the news that QTVR was no longer with us. QTVR was both groundbreaking and revolutionary in its youth. Stepping away from the centuries-old tyranny of the flipbook, it used the as yet untapped potential of the computer in a new way to wrap a flat image 360 degrees around a viewpoint and then went on to link those viewpoints into a virtual reality. QTVR was quick to render, modest in file size and capable of running independently on the least endowed computer of even the least endowed client. It offered the illusion of viewer control without allowing them to run amok in the dark corners and corridors of a project where even the designer had not yet dared to venture. Sadly, QTVR never even began to be developed to its fullest potential, as the typical mindset found itself completely unable to think past the cinematic paradigm, which blindly dedicated the vast potential of the computer to emulate the flickering frame-by frame drudgery of traditional celluloid animation.

It seems clear that the future belongs to VBE and its descendants and that is certainly a step in the right direction. But let us pause to remember QTVR and honor it for giving us a glimpse of what virtual horizons might be possible in a brave new virtual world.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
So the QTVR add-on won't run at all in version 13 on a 64 bit system?
It runs fine in version 12 on a 64 bit system.
I know the V12 program is only 32 bit and therefore runs a 32 bit add-on.
But couldn't V13 run a 32 bit add-on as well? (I don't know anything about programming these things).
Or at least couldn't they give us 32 bit add-on for those of us still working on 32 bit systems?
Just a recompile of the existing version 12 add-on?

Running the QT movies is another problem but even they can be run in 32 bit mode (emulation?).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
andrewzarb
Booster
It seems that the latest version of Quicktime, Quicktime X, does not support QTVR. Very strange when you consider the lack of easily accessible tools to replace QTVR. Also a shame when you consider that the technology even sparked new kinds of media, www.vrmag.org.

Maybe it's part of Steve Jobs' plan to get rid of every trace of John Sculley.
Anonymous
Not applicable
we have a client who has a new computer with windows 7
and they couldnt open our QTVR presentation even in XP SP2 emulation
so this may become a problem for our business
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Barry wrote:
Or at least couldn't they give us 32 bit add-on for those of us still working on 32 bit systems?
Barry.
It's available from here:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/ac13/QTVR.html

But it only works with 32-bit ArchiCAD 13, and the resulting movies will not play in the latest QuickTime X player, (QT X, a 64-bit application, does not support QTVR anymore)
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Barry Kelly
Thank you Gergely.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Thomas Holm
Booster
gkmethy wrote:
Barry wrote:
Barry.
It's available from here:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/ac13/QTVR.html

But it only works with 32-bit ArchiCAD 13, and the resulting movies will not play in the latest QuickTime X player, (QT X, a 64-bit application, does not support QTVR anymore)
QTX will ask for and install the required QT7 player when needed. QT7 is 32bit, but since there is no 64-bit Archicad 13 on the Mac, this should not be an issue.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
KeesW
Advocate
We never got QTVR to work on our 64 bit XP or Vista - I am glad some people did. It was our only disappointment with running AC on 64 bit OS's. Using virtual explorer is OK but costs extra whereas QTVR was built in.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!