Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Sync BIM Server Settings

Anonymous
Not applicable
The ability to sync settings between two or more BIM Servers would be wicked cool.
7 REPLIES 7
Erika Epstein
Booster
clayphillips wrote:
would be wicked cool.
And useful too
Also this would be consistent to be able to export settings both for import elsewhere and for backup.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I voted essential here. But we need to think outside the AC12 box and within the much bigger box that is the BIM Server. That box is barely filled by AC13. In developing new features Graphisoft now has vast opportunities.

Having used the BIM Server for a few weeks now my mind reels at the possibilities. The entire concept of Project must be rethunk. They exist now not as files but rather the sum of their parts. So what are the opportunities to share those parts?

I would love the option to have all (or some) of my attributes, title blocks, MVOs, favorites etc. common across projects. Similarly, a new type of instanced object or group, modeled in its own windows with the existing tools, that can be placed, moved, elevated, mirrored, even be designated a door or window, and yet freely edited within the active ArchiCAD session.

I envision a new “space” within the BIM server for these Shared Resources along with an expanded navigator topology that clearly indicates their origin. It’s time to move beyond the cumbersome import/export, copy/paste management of assets and create a repository that all projects can access, a job for which the BIM Server is uniquely capable.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
...Similarly, a new type of instanced object or group, modeled in its own windows with the existing tools, that can be placed, moved, elevated, mirrored, even be designated a door or window, and yet freely edited within the active ArchiCAD session....
Hey Geoff,

There are (at least) a couple of relevant wishes on a similar theme that you may be interested in -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=940

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=30342

I agree that the BIM Server could be the starting point for a complete revolution in the way ArchiCAD does BIM. I'm quite excited to see what extra features they can add in future versions!
Karl Ottenstein
No puns yet about Geoff wanting everything including the kitchen 'sync'? (Groan.)

Seriously, I agree with all of the comments/wishes on this one and the bigger BS issues.

K
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Peter, you will see that I did chime in on the older of those threads. Yes, the editable block, 3D worksheet, or whatever pops up again and again and especially when someone migrates from other programs that have had this for years.

Karl, dude, this is not even close to the kitchen sync. Aside from the editable block, which is really more of a modeling feature, mine are simple enhancements that should be easy with our new shiny database structure. Modest requests from a modest man
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry Geoff, I didn't read it carefully enough!
Karl Ottenstein
Geoff wrote:
... mine are simple enhancements that should be easy with our new shiny database structure. Modest requests from a modest man
I think they are an excellent vision of where we need to be. 🙂
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB