Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Smooth curved roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

Can anyone help me out with this curved roof please?

working with archicad 13 and I have created it using the barrel roof tool, but im not happy with the way it is segmented.

Is theer a way to do the same thing but with a completly smooth curve??

any help much appreciated!

Lisa

LEGUERN.jpg
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
And the same roof in elevation...
E-09 Elevation.jpg
Brett Brown
Advocate
Complex Profile
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
The length of the segments is controlled by Options > Magic Wand Settings ...
Erika Epstein
Booster
Using the Custom Profile draw the curved section. If you do a search here Dwight has done quite a few posts demonstrating the technique.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your replies everyone, after reading your responses I went back and tried again this time using SOE on the roof to get the shape that I want, but this seems an unfortunate work around. Or am I wrong about this, will a complex profile that has been edited using SOE be much the same as a normal roof object??

If I create the curve of the roof using complex profile, how do I get it into the shape that I want other than using SOE? I have attached an image showing the roof in plan so that you can see the form.

Thank you Erika, I did have a look first but could not find what I wanted to know, I will try again and see if I can find Dwights posts.

The roof will be finished with zinc sheeting, anyone have any ideas how i can go about modelling this, at least for the client to be able to see the idea in 3D? but preferably also so that it is represented in the elevations too?

Merci
Lisa
Dwight
Newcomer
If the roof is a single arch, Solid Element operations will trim it as you like.

As for this being an unfortunate work-around, it will have to do until Archicad has a read-everyones-mind-for-all-possible-ways-to-make-a-thing tool.

If the roof is a curved arch, a simple curved wall extrusion with the complex profile gives you the solution without trimming.

To have the SEO elements disappear and a proper plan symbol created, convert the elements into an object and hide the layers for the trimmed roof and the SEO element. [for future element updating]

As for finding my relevant posts for the complex profile, try searching the combination of "complex profile" and "Dwight"

Most useful among the returns are:

complex arch dome segments

another one

and yet another
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
And from the desktop today, some curved arching walls...
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Dwight, Ive done as you reccomended, except I havnt saved it as an object, that part seems to be a bit beyond me for the moment.

The only problem now is that I cannot trim the walls to the complex profiile roof I have created?, which wouldnet be problem except that the shape of th eroof means that the top of the walls are a special shape/height that I need trimmed to look right.

Would making the complex profile roof an object enable me to use it to trim the walls?

merci
Lisa
Dwight
Newcomer
Since the curved roof is no longer a 'roof' tool element, TRIM TO ROOF is not available.

Use Solid Element Operation instead.

The attached image shows making a singly curved complex profile - extruded as a straight wall - being trimmed with a slab SEO and then trimming walls beneath it with a downward SEO
Dwight Atkinson