Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New 64bit machine old version installation

Wokka
Contributor
Hi,
I'm just about to take delivery of a brand spanking new 64 bit machine to use ArchiCad/C4D to their full potential. I have previous versions installed on my existing machine and will have to access older versions of ArchiCad for older jobs.
Is it advisable to install the earlier versions first ie R10 then R11, then r12 and finally r13 so they install consecutively or can I load R13 and when required r9 later...
I would think it best to install from R10-11-12-13...
Any opinions???

Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
I don't think it makes much difference, but I would load AC12 and then AC13 as the last two in that order so AC13 will be your default opening version.

I make sure to archive each project in its own version so I can always open it later. Every few iterations of AC there is a major change of some kind affecting older library parts.

Djordje posted a few times the chart on graphisoft's website where so you can see compatibility. I can't find the bookmark at the moment

For projects AC 7and older read this.

There is also this site for file conversion

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Wokka
Contributor
Erika,
Thanks for the reply.
I should clarify myself a bit.
It's not so much the archived content and updating files. I do remote work for several different Architects and some of them are still stuck on older versions. So I need to work in R10 sometimes and send them back a R10 file for their use.
My query was more for the procedure of having them all opening OK on the new machine.
I agree, if I do them cronologically, the last installation should then be the default opening version, which is what I want.
I'm unsure if it's 100% safe to open a R10 version in R13, work on it (without complex profiles, updated libraries and all the other enhancements) and save it as an R10. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that I think
Thanks again!
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Erika Epstein
Booster
Warwick,
I misunderstood too. I also work with a lot of firms although they are all on 11, 12 or 13 as of now. I keep the older versions back to 9 on this machine. It doesn't make any difference that I can tell, I recenltly put 8 back on this machine and haven't had any problems. It did prompt me to install some older java so it would work.

I think someone who has 64bit and is on 7 could tell you if there were any problems, but I haven't heard anything, not that that means anything
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Warwick,
I run both at the office and at home Windows Vista Business 64. The folder structure of windows 64 bit has two folders for Program files; Program Files and Program Files (x86), the later being for 32bit programs.

Program Files (x86) folder = 32 bit programs
Program Files = 64 bit programs.

AC13 and C4D default to the Program Files along with all the other 64bit programs when installing. Well atleast on my machines. Can't comment on Windows 7.

Brendon
Wokka
Contributor
Thanks for you information guys.
So far (touch wood ), all is well.
ArchiCad and C4D/vray are alive again....
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render