Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

3d axonometric document scale in Ac12

David Collins
Advocate
I've been experimenting with axonometric 3d drawings in ArchiCAD 12.
When I place one of these on a drawing layout sheet, it comes in slightly off from the drawing scale and has to be tweaked into scale.

Of course, a perspective drawing is not scalable, but the whole point of an axonometric drawing, I always thought, was that you could measure off of it. Am I missing something here? Is there some trick to getting these to come into a layout drawing properly sized?
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
12 REPLIES 12
Djordje
Ace
Forgive me the stupid question:

XYZ axes in the 3D window settings are all set to the 100 or 1000? And the axo is a real axo, not a custom one?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
David Collins
Advocate
Djordje wrote:
Forgive me the stupid question:
With all due respect, I know a stupid question question when I see one and this is no stupid question.

Smart Me initially set this up as a true axon, but at some point Stupid Me tweaked it into what he felt was a "better" angle.

I'd fire the guy the guy if I could, but he's sort of related to me.

Thanks.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I tried saving a 3D document view, looking straight down on the model and compared the drawing with the floor plan and they matched perfectly.

How exactly is it not the correct scale?

Are you sure you don't have the Drawing Dimensions, Magnification or Scale altered in your Defaul Drawing Settings?

[Edit: Posted at same time as you. Glad you got it sorted].

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
guys, please help me. I cannot get my axos to scale correctly. I know the changing the fields that show 3' currently affect the size of the file output, but what does it really do in terms of scale?

I need a drawing printed at 1/4"=1'. The ability to do real 45/45/90 axos in AC really made make the move from rvt. please help me 😃
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Profoxcg,

The boxes that show 3' do effect the scale of the 3d document produced from it.

In the INT version of the software, setting those figures to 1m ensures that the model is to scale. If I change them to 2m, then the 3d document is twice the size it should be.

I presume in your case setting those figures to 1' would result in a 3d document that is the correct scale.

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Believe or not, it actually comes out smaller than the scale it needs to be...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I took you information and did some creative problem solving. Apparently the US 3D window does not care about the units and thus, I needed to type in 3'-3 3/8" in all three fields which is the equivalent to 1m. And then it works.

Very weird.

My next task is to find out how to bring a 3d CAD file int AC, any threads I can look up?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad you got it sorted! Weird solution!

To open a 3d dwg go to 'File'>'Libraries and Objects'>'Open Object' then select the dwg there.

Save the object created into a loaded folder.

You can then place it on plan using the 'Object' tool.

Here's an article detailing it for AC12- http://www.archicadwiki.com/Open%20DWG%20containing%203D%20data
Anonymous
Not applicable
nice trick ! We really need a mac sketch up plug in to AC12... =(