BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Skylight through double roof slab?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everybody,
I've been using AC12 for about a year now, today is kind of a big day for me: the day I finally get to place my first skylight ever! Not that I have anything against skylights at all...

Anyway, I have a problem. So far, I've always modelled the roof slabs so that the top finish (say, clay roof tiles) is created with an independent element placed on top of the actual house roof and the surrounding eaves, which have different thickness. I do this after a very helpful advise by Erika, to prevent any seem line between the house roof and the external eaves to show in the model.

Now, my skylight. I tried to have it go through both roof slabs. No. Too much to do for an Italian skyilight. I also tried to place it in one of the two slabs (it worked) and to cut a hole in the other one, but the resulting edge of the hole didn't match the skylight one...

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Enrico
3 REPLIES 3
Thomas Holm
Booster
If you use the roof tool (at least 1° slant) for the lower slab you can adjust its edges' slant indivudually (pet palette). If you're using the slab tool (no surface slant) you need to upgrade to AC13 for the same functionality.

You could otherwise use a customized body to cut the hole with SEO (solid element operation). A mesh is very flexible. Place it on a layer that will be hidden in the final layer combination.

Edited: And Erika is of course right about where you should place the skylight. Since you upper slab is thin, you'd probably avoid the edge issue that way, making my advice completely beside the point no use being quick-draw then...
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erika Epstein
Booster
Enrico,
I put it in the lower roof slab as that is the one that will show the skylight above in floor plans.

You can adjust the edges of the roof by selecting the roof, click on the edge of the hole when you get your mercedes cursor
click on the top right pet palette button (edge settings) and the Roof Edge window will come up. Set the angle for all the hole edges individually or in one step by clicking the 'All Edges' box.

If the skylight moves, remember to show both roof layers and use the marquee to move the hole in the other roof with the skylight.

HTH

just saw quick-draw Thomas' post
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Thomas Holm
Booster
Erika wrote: