Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Applying complex profile to slab?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everybody,
I'm creating the complex structure of a terrace slab, and I need to add a slope to the upper surface (to have water run off properly). Is there a way I can edit the profile of the layers of the slab, like I can do with walls?

Thanks!

Enrico
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Enrico!

Best to use a mesh rather than a slab if you want a sloping top surface. This is also true for ramps.

If you need to show layers, use a slab (or complex layered slab) for the level layers, then a mesh for the sloping or wedge-shaped part. If you need another layer on top of this you could use a roof.
Karl Ottenstein
Samovar wrote:
Best to use a mesh rather than a slab if you want a sloping top surface. This is also true for ramps.
Agree. Although, often just using roofs works for easy situations.

In the case of modeling complex draining surfaces with a mesh ... depending on how complex ... you might become unhappy with the thickness in section. In that case, download the 'goodie' (via Help menu link) Mesh to Roof which will generate roof bits corresponding to the mesh surface. You can then apply a composite, if desired, to these roofs as Samovar suggests to get more detail in your sections.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
owen
Newcomer
Karl wrote:
Samovar wrote:
Agree. Although, often just using roofs works for easy situations.

In the case of modeling complex draining surfaces with a mesh ... depending on how complex ... you might become unhappy with the thickness in section. In that case, download the 'goodie' (via Help menu link) Mesh to Roof which will generate roof bits corresponding to the mesh surface. You can then apply a composite, if desired, to these roofs as Samovar suggests to get more detail in your sections.

Cheers,
Karl
I tend to use the Mesh-to-Roof tool Karl is refering to (keep your mesh on a hidden layer for later editing), although another workaround is to vertically offset a duplicate of your mesh by the thickness you want your slab and then use SEO to subtract this copy from the upper slab - leaving just the section of mesh you want to show as the slab.

There is a bleedingly-obvious-feature wish somewhere to give us this thickness option built into the mesh tool. I think the slab tool and mesh tools should be rolled into one tool - everything starts as a simple horizontal slab and then you can add points, raise their Z height, etc.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Enrico wrote:
Hi everybody,
I'm creating the complex structure of a terrace slab, and I need to add a slope to the upper surface (to have water run off properly). Is there a way I can edit the profile of the layers of the slab, like I can do with walls?

Thanks!

Enrico
If you just want a simple sloped edge for your Slab, ArchiCAD 13 has that as a new feature.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everybody, as always!

I'll try and use a combination of slab (horizontal bearing structure+insulation) mesh ("wedge" part between horizontal part and the sloping one) and roof (top finish).

I'll also try the mesh-to-roof tool you've mentioned...

Once again: thanks a lot!

Enrico
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
In most cases a roof over a slab followed by an SEO (subtraction of the slab from the roof) will give a good result. The Fit to Skin option on AC13 will aid in proper display of directional fills if they are used in the roof part.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
funny, I used my revit background and concluded that the subtraction tool would do the job. its. revitalizing has the ability to slope the top layer of a slab while keeping the underside flat. I would like to see something like this in AC. So in AC, is the roof used interchangeably with floors? I want to make sure I know my options now that I am converting back to AC and actually learn it well.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Profoxcg wrote:
funny, I used my revitalizing background and concluded that the subtraction tool would do the job. its. revitalizing has the ability to slope the top layer of a slab while keeping the underside flat. I would like to see something like this in AC. So in AC, is the roof used interchangeably with floors? I want to make sure I know my options now that I am converting back to AC and actually learn it well.
The Roof can be sloped, the Slab cannot.
Now it is possible to have sloped edge for Slabs, just like Roofs.
But with Roofs you can also define what kind of edge and edge is: eave, valley, gable, ridge etc. That can be useful when listing/scheduling Roofs.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Profoxcg wrote:
...revitalizing has the ability to slope the top layer of a slab while keeping the underside flat. I would like to see something like this in AC...
The Mesh Tool does this.
Profoxcg wrote:
So in AC, is the roof used interchangeably with floors? I want to make sure I know my options now that I am converting back to AC and actually learn it well.
As you get back into ArchiCAD, you should start to discard the tool names and just think of the geometries they are capable of. A ramp might be best done with the Roof Tool or Mesh Tool, depending on the situation.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14