Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Deleting Layers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can someone please tell me how I can delete all layers except the ones that are being used?

Jerome McInnish
AC v9
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
Attribute Manager > purge unused.

Note that the default layer of each drawing tool will register as a "used" layer even though there may be no elements actually drawn in those layers.
So set all tools to the Archicad layer before you go to the attribute manager (you can never delete that one anyway).
Just be sure to set your tools back to the layer you want when you use them next.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much!
Anonymous
Not applicable
And best way to do this fast :

1. Document/Layers/Layer Extra/Active Layer
this function activates a usefull palette that will switch all tools to the active tool's layer.
2. Select a tool and for this tool chose "ArchiCAD Layer"
3. On the Active Layer palette, clic the button "One active layer for all elements types" all tools switch instantly to ArchiCAD layer
4. Go to the attribute manager purge unused
5. Back in plan view, on the Active Layer palette, clic the button "Individually set layers" all tools go back to their original layers layer
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks
Barry and Til
Great ideas.
Ran a test.
Works like a charm.
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perfect timing

Thanks for the tip
Anonymous
Not applicable
I spoke too soon....

I tried the techniques mentioned here, and found no glory. I went through all the view points with all layers turned on while using the find and select tool to see if the unwanted layer carried something important in any existing view points... yet after doing the task and opening the attribute manager I still find that the layer I am trying to delete has a check mark beside it which means there is still something assigned to that layer..... how? I am clearly missing a step... I also reloaded libraries, closed and re-opened the pln file to see if there was a 'glitch in the matrix'... but I still see the check mark.

Note: also went through all the layout sheets.

Any further suggestions?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Drawings placed on Layouts also have an assigned Layer.
Master Layout items are also a possible candidate.
Also, Hotlinked Modules are also assigned a master layer.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just wanted to touch base...

I checked Drawings placed on Layouts, Master Layout items and Hotlinked Modules... None were assigned to the layer. It is very odd. I ended up just deleting the layer.

It may have been old remnants of a hotlinked module that previously had elements assigned to the layer? What boggles me is that I already tried removing all hotlinks to see if this was the case, but it was not... even after removing all hotlinks, the layer seemed to be in use by something according to the attributes manager.

It is strange.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
junior wrote:
Any further suggestions?
There's always James Murray's idea about clearing Favorites with a `Blank.prf`.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5