BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Smooth curved roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

Can anyone help me out with this curved roof please?

working with archicad 13 and I have created it using the barrel roof tool, but im not happy with the way it is segmented.

Is theer a way to do the same thing but with a completly smooth curve??

any help much appreciated!

Lisa

LEGUERN.jpg
19 REPLIES 19
Dwight
Newcomer
Making an object:

Once you are finished messing with the exact shape of this complex profile roof, you'll turn it into an object for plan view accuracy. AND you'll keep the assembly parts on hidden layers for future updates.

1: Make a top view of the curved complex profile roof.

2: From the 3D window, File>Libraries and Objects>Save 3D Model As:
Object: GDL Editable.

Make a new folder for your own objects.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much Dwight

Ive got as far as the SEO editing to get the Complex profile and walls as I need them. I have also managed to save as object, the only problem I have left is when I place this object the plan shows the entire CP roof and not the SEO shaped version, ie a rectangle in plan. Im guessing this is something Im doing wrong when saving my object and will go read help files.

Bit of a slog getting there but the clients little daughter especialy liked the roof at least
Dwight
Newcomer
Sometimes these SEO Complex Profile Trimmings fail.
So I tested it.

Your problem is probably in not viewing the complex profile top view with the complex profile element selected only.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Curved roof in AC is like a dinosaur walking on the streets! I wander how long THEY will keep it this way!
Dwight
Newcomer
Until a large meteor object strikes the atmosphere object.
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
upintheclouds wrote:
working with archicad 13 and I have created it using the barrel roof tool, but im not happy with the way it is segmented.
Is theer a way to do the same thing but with a completly smooth curve?
Try making your roof with OBJECTiVE (an ArchiCAD add-on). To make your roof (referring to the attached image) you would:
  • 1. Draw the perimeter of your roof with the fill tool and make a new Elevation profile with OBJECTiVE > Component > New Profile
    2. Click the profile's bending hotspot to shape to the required curve. The walls can be cut to the roof using Solid Element Operations
    3. The finished elevation
    4. The finished model
The profile has a parameter to control the amount of faceting across the curve so you can find a suitable trade-off between appearance and performance.
Ralph Wessel BArch
andrewzarb
Booster
Dwight wrote:
Nice render Dwight!
How'd you get the smoke effect, Lightworks?
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Dwight wrote:
Apophis comes close-ish in 2029 and again in 2036
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/

So a bit of a wait then
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help guys

Thats a big help Ralph Wessel, merci. Im installing objective now and will try your idea.

a+
Dwight
Newcomer
Of course, it COULD be a meteor no one notices.

asteroid misses earth, again
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!