Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Interior Elev Sides Missing.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm 'playing' with interior elevations again. Is there a bug that causes the side wall boundary lines of IEs to disappear when the boundary walls are complex profiles?

I've tried it in AC11, 12 and 13 and they all display the same error.

Any workarounds, or have I just missed something obvious?

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Erika Epstein
Booster
On the marker settings you can

Model display> Boundary Contours> Override Contours

This will add in a vertical line. Trims such as baseboards are still problematic, some cut lines show and some don't.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice Erika,

Even that doesn't seem to work for me! The edges stubbornly refuse to display.

As a quick test, if I set the walls to a solid cut fill, the edges display correctly. If I now capture the profile of one of the walls, then assign the profile back to the same walls, the edges disappear! Can anyone else reproduce this?

I'm amazed a such a limitation!
Barry Kelly
I can confirm it does not work with interior elevations on version 13.

In the image attached the side wall on the left is a standard composite and the one on the right is a complex profile.

The over-ride boundary contour doesn't do anything either.
As you can see it is on (squiggly line) but not for the complex profile.
I guess the straight line on the left side is the return wall - although I would have hoped this would disappear.

Personally I wouldn't use the interior elevation tool anyway.
And if I did I would extend the limits to include the thickness of the wall.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Elevation boundaries set to outside of walls.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for confirming that, Barry. I will report it as a bug to my reseller.
Anonymous
Not applicable
HMMMMM.... I have this problem as well. Just noticed it now that we're trying to use "live" interior elevations. I can "work-around" it by just drawing a line there, but the whole purpose of 3D is to not draw lines. I reported it to Graphisoft North America and sent them this post.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Thanks for confirming that, Barry. I will report it as a bug to my reseller.
I've just got done reporting this as a bug (for the third time now) to Graphisoft North America. I first reported this 2 years ago, then last year, and now again yesterday. Frustratingly, I have to re-explain the problem every time, and have gotten no update for 2 years on what the problem is until now.

Anyhow, here is there response... "I took a look at your issue and it does seem that your request has been forwarded to development for a future release. The reason it isn't being addressed in a hotfix is that the issue isn't a bug but rather a limitation of the current interior elevation tool. If you wish to achieve your desired result, I recommend you use the section tool."

And my response... "I find this frustrating. The interior elevation tool can find the outlines of every type of normal wall. Why doesn't it know the extents or a complex profile wall? Maybe this isn't a bug, but with the way 3D modeling and BIM is developing, you now almost always have exterior walls at the very least, becoming complex profiles. The interior elevation tool should know the outlines of these walls and they should show on the interior elevations. This is basic. If it's a wall, any kind of a wall, the interior elevation tool should pick up the outline.

Using the section tool to develop an interior elevation is in my opinion a horrible workaround. So you do 2 or 3 views with the interior elevation, but then the view that isn't showing the wall outlines, you make a section through, and replace the interior elevation? How do you reference this on the sheet? The interior elevation marker labeling would have to be custom, creating more work and room for errors.

From responses on Architalk, this has been a verified problem since version 11, and I've reported it since version 13, and it has yet to be addressed. I really hope GS makes this small request a priority to fix for the next release. Please share my concern and have GS read the posts on Architalk concerning this issue."

Just venting!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have also found that elevation sides disappear when I set "Vertical Range" to "Detect and Fit to Zones". This was particularly hard to diagnose because I was also using complex profiles!