Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

BSname pr

Erika Epstein
Booster
I recently noticed that my BIM Server was always off-line and no-one, including myself, could log on to it.

What turned out to be the problem is that in the Graphisoft BIM Server Control Center>Preferences> Server Name it was now set to Use Computer's name rather than the Custom name of my BS.
After retyping in my BS name, it now lists my BS name as BS[computer name] i.e. it is putting my computer name in brackets.

So far it seems to be reading the libraries loaded to original BS name for this amended BS. I am hoping to avoid having to reload all the libraries to this new BS[name] and then everyone on each project having to reload libraries.

There was no new version of the BS so I am wondering what could have reset the name to Computer Name?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
7 REPLIES 7
Dennis Lee
Booster
I had a similar thing happend to me. I thought that the computer name being in brackets was just some default setting that shows up to tell you that the computer was in a local network, and didn't really matter. Later on though, it caused all kinds of troubles loading libraries for me.

IMO, whether it is just the name of the server, the name of the server with computer name in brackets, or just the computer name, it needs to be consistent for all users in all phases of signing in - Identifying your id and password, browsing for projects, and loading bim server libraries.

See my post here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=30266&start=10
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Erika Epstein
Booster
Dennis,
thanks, You missed my question.
I was wondering what could have happened to change the settings of the BIMserver Control Center.
Yes, it could have been operator error, but that isn't a setting I've been playing with.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Dennis Lee
Booster
Hi Erika, I know I don't know why your name setting had changed, but I just wanted to bring up the fact that the seemingly little differences in the server name (as in the computer name being added in the brackets) did have some significant effects in terms of performance for my bim server libraries. Also, if you have people logging into your server from the outside, how does that server name [computer name] thing work? It might not show up for them, and the libraries may not load poperly... Please let me know if you find anything regarding this.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Ed_Brown
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I will state my bias from the start. I would avoid using the custom name. You are best off using the qualified domain name for your BIM Server. That is, the machine name given by the network along with the domain of the company. Something like: BIMServer1.mycompany.com.

When joining a BIM Server that is using a custom name there will be two parts to the BIM Server's name
Custom_name [ IPaddress_or_Domainname]

The value in the brackets is what is being used. The custom name is strictly for fun. This is important when linking with BIM Server libraries. If a BIM Server library was shared with Custom_name [ IPaddress_1 ] and another user joins with Custom_name [ IPaddress_2_ ] the other user more than likely will not see the libraries. This is most common when one user is outside the local network of the BIM Server and is using a public IP_address to connect.

To avoid all possibilities for problems, always use the qualified domain name and name conflicts will be avoided. Likewise, this also insures the proper network route will be chosen.
Graphisoft Technical Support
Erika Epstein
Booster
Ed,
The custom name is that of the static IP address as we were instructed to use.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Ed_Brown
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
The custom name is that of the static IP address as we were instructed to use.
I am not following you. You have chosen a custom name that is the IP address of your machine?
Graphisoft Technical Support
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hi Ed,
Apparently I had let my free static IP name lapse (thanks Rod) and I had to set up a new one. In the meantime it had defaulted back to the computer's name.
Thank you for persistence in helping me resolve this problem.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions