BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Are there an automatically generated backup file of gdl obj

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did something real stupid. Saved a nearly empty gdl-description over a gdl-description I had worked with some hours. And, I try to figure out wheter there by some chance can exist an automatically generated backup file. But I could not find any information about that. Do someone know if there exist a possibility like this? I'm desperate!
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Anne,

I don't think you can.

I used to do mistakes like this... Till I adopted this methodology for GDL scripting:

1. Create a special folder for the object;
2. Start a new object and name it "MyObject.gsm";
3. Before I made any big change in the script I save a backup named "MyObject_01.gsm";
4. Then I go back to work with the "MyObject.gsm" file.

HTH.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Is it possible that you have saved a PLA file from a project that used that object? Because in that case that version or state of the object can be recovered from the PLA file.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, this object was so new I hadn't completed it yet. So I had not used it in any project. 😞 I suppose I just have to start all over again. I don't do this this really often. I think it's the first time it has happened to me. So I just think I must be a little bit more careful after this.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Anne wrote:
I did something real stupid. Saved a nearly empty gdl-description over a gdl-description I had worked with some hours.
I don't know if you've ever contemplated using a Mac, but this would be one reason to do so. It has very clever built-in backup software called Time Machine that automatically makes backups while you work. Better still, it keeps different versions of your work over time, so if the most recent has been mistakenly edited (as in your case) you can step back to the previous one (right back to the point where it was started).

To avoid keeping an overwhelming number of different versions, it keeps the following backup versions:
  • - Hourly backups for the past 24 hours;
    - Daily backups for the past month
    - Weekly backups for all previous months
I can still step back to document versions over 2 years old using Time Machine. More info here
Ralph Wessel BArch
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Ralph wrote:
...I don't know if you've ever contemplated using a Mac, but this would be one reason to do so. It has very clever built-in backup software called Time Machine that automatically makes backups while you work...
Just to echo Ralph's comment, this OS feature saved me about a 1/2 hour of work yesterday when ArchiCAD locked up. I easily found an earlier version of the file and went on my merry way.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!