Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Setting object height relative to base

derekjackson
Enthusiast
Hi,
this might be an easy one but I'm not sure how to set a default (but user-editable) value for the object's relative base height.

I.e it's at 0 as default when I place the object - is there any way to make sure it starts at 100mm?

Thanks,

Derek
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Derek,

You can always save your object with the custom base height as a favorite. Check the "Favorites" button at the top of the object properties window.

HTH.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Or you could add a custom parameter that will allow users set the insertion height of the object.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Erika wrote:
Or you could add a custom parameter that will allow users set the insertion height of the object.
And this is what got implemented in AC13 Library for objects usually not on the floor (basins, cooktops, etc.). It lets you level elements by default in your library. E.g. leveling of a cabinet element (parameterized by ZZYZX) and a cooktop element (where ZZYZX is its thickness).
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
derekjackson
Enthusiast
Fair enough. So it's sounds like there's no set variable I can change?

It just seems bizarre that any object you make has this value which is set to 0 but can't be changed (outlined in red on the screengrab). Okay, I can fudge the same result with my own variables, but if the user can change this existing variable, why can't I?!

And what is it about AC13 that allows this - an extended set of variables in GDL script?

Thanks for the help so far,

Derek
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
derekjackson wrote:
And what is it about AC13 that allows this - an extended set of variables in GDL script?
A new parameter got introduced in every naturally elevated object. The name varies on the use. It can be countertop height for objects which are inserted into the countertop. It can be top height for objects which are usually placed by their top level - e.g. wall hung basins or toilets. You can see one more advantage here in contrast to a simple elevation. The library developer can choose the vertical leveling point for the object. It can be anywhere not just on the top or bottom - like the Basin Front Height of urinals or the aforementioned Countertop Height for cooktops.

I think it is more flexible this way.

Regards,
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...