Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Tracing a Section cut ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have generated this section ( attached ) from a 3D model ( which I though was the correct procedure or creating sections ). I've taken it to my Tutor and she's moaning because it's not ' clean ' enough i.e there are a few lines that end up ' no where ' How can I trace this so that it follows the same shape but allows me to keep all edged joined... I could change the section but the problem would still be there.

Thank You
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi NStocks,

Try a SEO (Solid Element Operation) and subtract the object from the mesh. You can find all the information to do this operation in the ArchiCAD Reference Manual.

HTH.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply, I will try that out.

Is this the ' right ' way of doing what I need to do ? Is this how you would normally do it for a Client/Builder to show detail with using the 3D model, only as a reference ?

This is a off topic but are Graphics Tablets a good investment for Architects ? I've heard that a few CAD users use them but I'm not sure wether or not to get one ( For a student budget, I was thinking of the Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch )

Thank You for your input.
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks,

Your model/building is not quite the kind of work I usually do... But in the end it's all about geometry and mental 3d modeling.

If you could post here a pla file of your project I'd give it a look.

HTH.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the zip. file.

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately I'm not on AC13... Can you save it as AC12 module file?
Anonymous
Not applicable
How do I save as a ArchiCAD 12 module ? My drop down doesn't show that option, or do I save it as a ArchiCAD 12 project then save that as a mod ?

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try first saving it as an AC12 project, then finally save it as a module.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've attached the module file as a .zip, however only the mesh has saved

Thank You
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I have generated this section ( attached ) from a 3D model ( which I though was the correct procedure or creating sections ). I've taken it to my Tutor and she's moaning because it's not ' clean ' enough i.e there are a few lines that end up ' no where ' How can I trace this so that it follows the same shape but allows me to keep all edged joined... I could change the section but the problem would still be there.
You can draw additional line-work into sections if you wish. I usually do this in elevations, adding thicker lines where I want to add some relief or depth to the drawing.

You can also mask over unwanted lines with fills. Alternatively (if you believe you aren't going to have to repeat the exercise) you can unlink the section from the model so that it becomes nothing but 2D elements. You can then freely edit or delete elements as required.
Ralph Wessel BArch