BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Clean wall intersections

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to intersect multiple composite walls with different thicknesses made up of a single core and a plaster finish to both sides. I've tried every way i've remembered (priorities, reference lines, etc.) so that they can cleanly intersect to no success. The closest i ever came to it was as described in the image. Can anybody help me?
Thanks in advance.

Wall Intersection.jpg
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Gassis,

Welcome

This is a well known ArchiCAD's weak link.

In this situation I usually try to achieve the best 3d/2d (in this order) result and finally apply a patch/fragmento to the walls connection.

You could create a special polygonal wall for the junctions... but IMO and in this special situation I prefer the patch/fragment... which in this case could be mirrored.

HTH.
screen.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Braza,

From what i see in your model, the only problem is that the inside plaster finish isn't continuous, showing both cores at the top of the thickest walls. That's the result i want to avoid, so that i can get a plaster finish without being interrupted by wall cores showing up.
As of patches, i've heard about them but don't know how to make them!
Thanks all the same.

Cheers
Erich
Contributor
gassis,
I believe that you will need to modify your work environment to include the menu item that allows you to create a patch. Look for the command "Create Patch" and add it to your work environment. You then marquee an area, select the "Create Patch" command. This will automatically create a 2D GDL object which can automatically be placed in the correct position in your plan, elevation, etc. Then if you select the patch object and open it and go to the 2D symbol window you can modify the appearance of the patch to suit your needs using standard drawing tools. Save the modified patch and you are done.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
You also might just find it already part of your work environment under:
Document > Document Extras > Create Patch

In attached image you can see I've added it to; My Tool Bar, (a custom tool bar I made), but it can be added other places as well.
lec
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I tried this both in AC12 and AC13.
In AC12 it is buggy indeed.
But in AC13 it is working fine for me.
Core Intersection number is 12, plaster Intersection number is 8.
All Walls are set to Enable Skin Priorities.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Laszlo,
laszlonagy wrote:
But in AC13 it is working fine for me.
That's good news!

How about the 3d view?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately in 3D there is a vertical line both with the Internal 3D Engine and the OpenGL Engine.
That's strange, I thought that was working already.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well... At least 2d is working now.

Thanks for the feedback.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

First of all i want to thank you all for your help.
I've tried what Laszlo suggested and the result was a lot cleaner in 2d, although you can notice some interrupted lines as well as some that were not supposed to be there as shown in the attached image.
From what i understand the vertical lines that show up in the 3d window (they show in elevations as well!) are the result of the same little lines that are indicated in the plan.
As for 2d plan, as braza and erich said, this could be fixed by patching, but how can you solve this in 3d as well as elevations or sections?
Learn and get certified!