Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC11, disappearing View Map

Craig Bagley
Contributor
Occasionally, when I go to close a file ("File>Close"), only the Navigator Palette closes. The file won't close until I reopen the Navigator Palette. When I reopen the Navigator Palette, none of my saved views show in the View Map, and Layouts are renumbered (subsets disappear).

Eventually I can get the file to close, and after reopening it, all Views are restored...

This is assuming I don't try to save the file with the corrupted View Map prior to closing. I tried this, and now the file reopens with the corrupted View Map (no surprise, I guess). I have a backup to work with, so I'm using the corrupted file to experiment:

1. When you go to a layout, select a drawing, and attempt to "Open view source", nothing happens. The path to the view, however, still looks correct, even though there are no views in the View Map.

2. In the Drawing Manager, status of drawings linked back to views are noted as "Unavailable"

I'm unclear as to why failure to close the file normally is an "occasional" problem, so I can't inform as to what I may be doing just prior to closing that may trigger the problem. I don't think the problem occurs if I manually save the file just prior to closing (the normal and prudent thing to do). Occasionally I may forget to do this, and that may have something to do with the problem. The normal prompt to save isn't always triggered if I saved recently, and then perhaps inadvertently perform some action before closing.

Can't find any past postings related to this; hence my post.
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
15 REPLIES 15
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Chazz, this means you'll be picking up the tab when you buy Craig lunch
Seems I owe Chazz a lunch for paying attention to my problem. If you find a break in your daily grind, let me know.
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Craig,

No resolution to your problem has been put forward. here. time to escalate.

Can you ask your reseller to file a 'case' on the CRM system and get Graphosft involved. GS recently altered their support policy and while it removes much of the direct responsibility for client tech support from the reseller, they also have the mechanisms in place to get action on the issue. Graphisoft should be your front line tech support on this issue.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Thanks, Aaron. I will follow up later when I find time. (I haven't had time, which also explains this belated thank you note.)
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Craig.
If Chazz hasn't told you yet, Chazz is his real name.
And a good name at that.
JaredBanks
Mentor
Craig,

Did you ever solve this? I had a similar situation happen with two of my people this week. Two separate files -layout book when bad and all the views in the view map disappeared. While it was a good opportunity for me to remind them about the importance of back ups, I don't have a good answer. But something with an improper closing of the file sounds right.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Craig Bagley
Contributor
JaredBanks wrote:
Craig,

Did you ever solve this? I had a similar situation happen with two of my people this week. Two separate files -layout book when bad and all the views in the view map disappeared. While it was a good opportunity for me to remind them about the importance of back ups, I don't have a good answer. But something with an improper closing of the file sounds right.
Apologies for the belated reply, Jared. I'm making a pass through old postings to look for new replies (such as yours).

No, there is still no response from GS technical support as of this date.
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6