Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

REAPPEARING LAYERS

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's my problem, somehow a project has gotten littered with all sorts of layers from consultants. I have gone through all drawings in all hotlinked modules, I have turned all tools to "one active layer, and have successfully purged all of these unwanted layers. Everything looks great, I run updates, everything looks great, but then I reopen that file the next day, and all those unwanted layers are back. I have checked all forums, and tried everything, can't clear 'em. Any suggestions.
18 REPLIES 18
Erika Epstein
Booster
Evan,
Have you tried to reattach the xrefs and choose the option to 'Remove Xref's Attributes'? This has been discussed a few times, most recently here.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I've seen that post. But wouldn't those layers be grouped with the xref layers (you know, under the line)? These are grouped w/ my layers. Would that work for that type? The strange thing is that they purge just fine, but then come back.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you delete all the unwanted layers in all your hotlinked files and save them too? Maybe you did this already with no success.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I thought this was the problem all along, and had been putting off cleaning them up until I had access to all files. This is when I realized that there was a stranger problem. Still can't figure it out.
Anonymous
Not applicable
My first thought is that you have the layers in one of those linked files and they get added when you update the hotlink. If memory servers me correctly, modules will only bring the layers (attributes) that are actually used where as a linked PLN will bring ALL layers (attributes) in that file.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know, strange thing is that I've tried deleting all hotlinks, purge successfully, close, save, reopen, and they reappear!?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've also had this very annoying rogue layer creation happen when x-ref'ing consultant dwgs. these are layers created above the x-ref line. From what I can tell, they seem to be associated with consultant's Autocad linetypes. If I knew more about Autocad-maybe this would make sense. Civil engineers especially seem to use dozens of linetypes, one for every type of element, even if lines are visually identical. Layers seem to be created for each one. can't figure out hat to do about this. If it means converting every linetype in the translator--not worth the effort
skYo
Beginner

Has it been solved at all? I'm facing very similar problem and I wonder where this one landed.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

This is a 12-year old thread, you are probably using a completely different version than people 12 years ago.

So I would suggest that you start a new thread, detailing your issue, add screenshots and system specs, Archicad version etc. so we can help you better.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27