BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Clean wall intersections

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to intersect multiple composite walls with different thicknesses made up of a single core and a plaster finish to both sides. I've tried every way i've remembered (priorities, reference lines, etc.) so that they can cleanly intersect to no success. The closest i ever came to it was as described in the image. Can anybody help me?
Thanks in advance.

Wall Intersection.jpg
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Gassis,

Patches only work in 2d/section/elevation views...

This problem is like a short blanket... if you cover the head, the feet get off and vice versa.

Thats why I first fix the 3d view and finally I apply a patch to cover all the mess in the 2d view.

HTH.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Found some curious things about this and continued to experiment.
What I found it that the Wall Priority number still has some role even when the Enable Skin Priorities checkbox is checked.
I always thought that when you check Enable Skin Priorities, then the Wall Priority number assigned to the Wall has no role to play. It looks like this is not the case.
Basically what I did now is I set the Wall Priority of the Left and Right thicker Walls to 8, and all other three Walls in the middle to 12.
This way it works both in AC12 and AC13 in 2D.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
James Murray's mind-bending article here:

http://www.onland.info/archives/2009/11/composite_wall_priorities.php

may be of some help. 😉
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've already read James Murray's article (onland is always a good reference) and it makes it clear for a situation where a T intersection is made of two wall. My problems come up when i try to have a clean T intersection between three different wall where none has the same thickness as the other (the case in point is related to an intervention in an old preexisting building where no wall has the same thickness!), now imagine intersecting four wall in a cross (I also have this situation) where every single one is different from the other. As I've also learned, wall thickness also plays an important role in priorities.
It looks to me there's no way i can achieve a clean intersection in these particular cases. In plan, section or elevation i can always patch (thanks Braza and Erich!) but in 3d there's a bit of a headache concerning unwanted lines.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Please show the exact situation on a screen shot and we will see what can be done.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Lazlo,

Here's the example of the previous situation (T intersections made up of 3 different wall thicknesses) with a cross intersection where none of the 4 walls has the same thickness.

Thanks
3 and 4 Wall Intersections.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the 3d view with the unwanted lines as i've previously said
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately I do not know a solution for the junction with the 4 Walls. You will have to draw over it will Lines/Fills or place a Patch.
Ditto for the 3D Lines.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Looks like a good place for a control joint
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Rod Jurich
Contributor
laszlonagy wrote:
Unfortunately I do not know a solution for the junction with the 4 Walls. You will have to draw over it will Lines/Fills or place a Patch.
Ditto for the 3D Lines.
Well not exactly. Seek here
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Learn and get certified!