BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Snap... to fill objects?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to snap to objects within fills? In 2d?

In 3d?

Let's say I create a symbol fill with a square, I link any material to that fill, and I toggle on to see vectorial hatchs in any 3d view, so I can see my squares everywhere. Is it possible to snap to those squares corners and sides as if they were 2D lines?

Thanks,

Fuintur

(Sorry for the flood, it just happens that I had theese many questions stored for many months...)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
In short - No you can't.

You can use the "Link to fill origin" option in the placed fill, and use that as a setout point (easier if you have "show fill handles ON" in display settings). If you know the size of your fill pattern you can go from there (eg. for ceiling tiles in a grid)

(Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place to get questions answered. It's suggested that you add a signature (in profile link above) with information regarding your AC version and OS, as some answers will vary between AC versions and operating systems - see mine for example, below)
Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be a really useful feature to be able to snap to the lines within fills, especially for setting up tiling. Why not make a new wish in the 'Drafting Wishes' section of the forum here?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Complex fills already slow things down enough. Imagine if your cursor was trying to snap to every endpoint or intersection within them as well. Maybe a new fill category would get around this? Maybe not.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, your right. It makes no sense to be able to snap to the lines in a concrete fill, but it does for a gridded pattern or parallel line type fill.

Rather than just restricting it to vectorial fills, maybe it could just be a simple tickbox in the fill settings that allows the user to choose what fills they can snap to.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
In short - No you can't.

You can use the "Link to fill origin" option in the placed fill, and use that as a setout point (easier if you have "show fill handles ON" in display settings). If you know the size of your fill pattern you can go from there (eg. for ceiling tiles in a grid)
I managed to gain further control over the vectorial fills shown in any 3d views by using "enveloping" fills and setting those fills, once displayed, in plan. But that's only worth for objects allowing "enveloping" fills, so slabs? ok, walls? No.

Nor I can edit those fill handles in elevation views.

Show fill handles, for "enveloping" fills only works only in plan views, doesnt it? Anyth in 3d views?

Speaking about parallel patterns... I have been trying to understand how does some predetermined fills work, so that I can create them myself, and I still can understand how do I do to create myself fills such as "brick, common brickwork", when the pattern unit (in yellow) doesn't cover the whole... say "logic" unit, that is to say the unit that, itself, would be able to cover the whole plane by tesselation. Is it even possible?

Thanks,

Fuintur
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fuintur wrote:
...Nor I can edit those fill handles in elevation views.
You can do this using "Align 3D Texture" in Design menu (Ac11 standard WE)
Fuintur wrote:
Speaking about parallel patterns... I have been trying to understand how does some predetermined fills work, so that I can create them myself, and I still can understand how do I do to create myself fills such as "brick, common brickwork", when the pattern unit (in yellow) doesn't cover the whole... say "logic" unit, that is to say the unit that, itself, would be able to cover the whole plane by tesselation. Is it even possible?

Thanks,

Fuintur
You would do this by copy / paste lines representing a full repeating module into a new Symbol Fill. That is, each of the stretcher bond courses plus one header course, in the example you gave.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Fuintur wrote:
This can be done via GDL using the Define Fill command.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
JCCARLOS91
Enthusiast

Hello.

Is there any update on this for Archicad 25? 🤞

John Carlos
AC25 | iMac 2019
Learn and get certified!