BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modules' usefulness

Marky
Contributor
ArchiCAD Help says (p.811 in Polish ver.) that when trying to insert a module which has more storeys than in the project, exceeding story of the inserted module won't be inserted.

Really?

In my case AC behaves little bit different - inserted building (left one) has all its storeys but is all messed up, since its slabs are lined up with the project's storey settings. Different storeys names don't help much, neither the omitting the slab setting in the storey setup window.

Is there anything else than inserting the other building with the larger number of storeys as an object?

Thanks,
Marek
AC 6.5, 13 - 19 Pl, OctaneRender for ArchiCAD, MoI 3D, Blender; W7 Pro 64;
i7-4790K/32 GB; GTX 980/4 GB
10 REPLIES 10
Marky
Contributor
And that's how the inserted building module supposed looked like.

Marek
Erika Epstein
Booster
The module will take on the story settings of the file into which it is placed.

If the only difference is that the module has more stories than the host file, add corresponding stories.

But, keep in mind that a file can only have ONE set of story heights. The floor to floor Story heights must match or the you will see gaps or overlaps in the module walls and floors.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
The story height of the module does not correspond to the story height of the main file. Now you should use single story modules. You can design the module in it own file over multiple stories, but placing a module is different. Go to File/External content/Place hotlinked module/choose hotlink. in this dialogbox you can choose the option 'Open in single story mode'.Now you can place each story seperately. Once placed you can adjust the z-position for the entire module to its appropriate height.
Marky
Contributor
Well, that's what I was afraid of.

So, wouldn't it be easier to save a module file as the library object and update that gsm file each time when is changed instead of dealing with that little cumbersome module story to story placing procedure?
Gsm file is much less editable, I know, but I need to place two different buildings in one project anyway, and that's just the concept design, so far.

Thanks,
Marek
Anonymous
Not applicable
Once placed you only have to update the hotlinks. I do not see any problems. Notice that all the elements have there original elements' behavior, like in sections, materials and easy to modify with the module.
Also the floorplan with its 2D elements will remain.
DVH
Participant
Master wrote:
The story height of the module does not correspond to the story height of the main file. Now you should use single story modules. You can design the module in it own file over multiple stories, but placing a module is different. Go to File/External content/Place hotlinked module/choose hotlink. in this dialogbox you can choose the option 'Open in single story mode'.Now you can place each story seperately. Once placed you can adjust the z-position for the entire module to its appropriate height.
Where is the "Open in Single Story Mode" button in AC12 ?
Or is there yet another option for merging individual stories at appropriate heights from a single Multi Story Module file.
Dwayne
Dwayne Van Horn - Architect & AC User Since 1994
AC_27 MacBook Pro M3 Max, OSX 14.3
Levin Brown Architects, 2016- Present
TMA_80
Enthusiast
when you explore the module you want to link (the mini explorer window) you have at the bottom of this window the option . so becareful while importing to have checked this option .
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
DVH
Participant
TMA_80 wrote:
when you explore the module you want to link (the mini explorer window) you have at the bottom of this window the option . so becareful while importing to have checked this option .
Earthling TMA_80,
Thankyou for stressing that the "Open in Single Story mode" was there... I was looking at my already loaded list of module files,... not realizing that I needed to click one more button "NEW HOTLINK" to get me back to window that had the "Open in Single Story Mode" hiding in the "finder window".
So thank you.... Once I did this I was able to load the individual stories to the correct elevation relative to the Model they were being merged into.

Now, only one problem.... is there a glitch with regard to Solid Element Operations no longer trimming when the model is hot linked into the merged model. All of the SEO's that work just fine in the original model do not trim any longer in the model the hot Link is placed.
Anyone hear of this before?
Thanks,
Dwayne Van Horn - Architect & AC User Since 1994
AC_27 MacBook Pro M3 Max, OSX 14.3
Levin Brown Architects, 2016- Present
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwayne,
I'm also having the same problems as you are. I've posted here:
archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=32262

You find comments about the SEOs there. I'm only about to follow the advice, so I have no comment myself...yet.
Learn and get certified!