Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

why no cavity closure on empty doors?

Is there a reason why the "empty opening" doesn't have the cavity closure option?
I really do not understand this.
I saw the tip of using the "arched opening" to have an opening without door frame that behaves like an actual door, but this is a really lame solution.
Mac OSX 13.6.4 | AC 26 INT 3001 FULL
6 REPLIES 6
Erika Epstein
Booster
Achille wrote:
Is there a reason why the "empty opening" doesn't have the cavity closure option?
That would make too much sense
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
I should have known!!!

Please vote for my poll!!!!
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Achille wrote:
Yes, there is one. Empty openings -- which come via checking Empty Opening button in the d/w settings -- are built-in in ArchiCAD itself and they should be as simple as possible to give a real quick opening solution. They started from an actual hole in the wall and got a bit more complicated over time. All the cavity closure infrastructure is way too complicated to get into the built-in library section.

As an alternative you can use 'W Rectangular Opening 13' which is unfortunately not a door. Following this track, ArchiCAD Library should have a 'D Rectangular Opening 13' object too. I added this request to the bug tracking system. Its priority will be determined later. It may get into the next main release.

Regards,
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Erika Epstein
Booster
Zsolt,
Thanks for adding this to the queue. Lets hope it makes it in to the next release.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Great to hear that Zsolt!

Maybe you could also give a look to the cavity closure regarding the curtain wall?

I mean the same should happen when connecting a Curtain Wall to a Wall.
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Achille wrote:
Maybe you could also give a look to the cavity closure regarding the curtain wall?

I mean the same should happen when connecting a Curtain Wall to a Wall.
That's a whole other story. Don't get me started on that:) You won't have window-like or door-like curtain walls soon. For now, there is one workaround - place an empty door or window and a curtain wall. I know it's not perfect but it works...

Best regards,
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...