BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

WHY!?

Anonymous
Not applicable
This has been driving me nuts for weeks. Can someone please tell me why a wall corner that is cleaned up in a file, gets messed up when brought in as a hotlink? See Attached images
10 REPLIES 10
Erika Epstein
Booster
The reference lines in your hotlink'd walls do not meet the reference line of the wall in your host file.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
All the walls are in the original file, So i just don't understand why it looks ok in one file but not the other. I have been trying to match up the little dots (reference markers) but one wall goes from the first floor to the roof, so i have the reference markers set up right for the first floor, but then i cant make it work for the roof plan. So do i have to fake the wall to make this work?
jbArch
Newcomer
Item on hidden layer causing a conflict?
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
Anonymous
Not applicable
jbArch wrote:
No there are no hidden items. I ended up cheating the wall by splitting it and putting some parts to only show on home story, come set to cut only, and then moved the reference lines around until it joined correctly. IMO i am baffled that this is the 13th version of a architectural program and there are problems like this for walls, the most basic component of a building. I know that revit had some issues with wall joining together, but i never had this much trouble making walls work, and i never had to fake in so much stuff to make a drawing read correctly. I am very dissatisfied with this program.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
jbArch wrote:
My guess is that this is your issue -- one or both of your walls are joining with a wall that cannot be seen in this viewpoint (the "mystery" wall could be on a layer that is off, or on another Story).
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Dennis Lee
Booster
Could it be that the layer intersection group number in your host file is not the same as the hot link file?

Seems like there is a low wall element that is in the host file that wants to "join" with the wall that comes in the hotlink...
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dennis wrote:
Could it be that the layer intersection group number in your host file is not the same as the hot link file?

Seems like there is a low wall element that is in the host file that wants to "join" with the wall that comes in the hotlink...
I'm sorry, but doesn't this make some of you just go nuts? "Layer intersection group Number"? what dose that even mean, I went to school to learn architecture not computer programing. I want to build a wall not a code.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Hence wrote:
Dennis wrote:

I'm sorry, but doesn't this make some of you just go nuts? "Layer intersection group Number"? what dose that even mean, I went to school to learn architecture not computer programing. I want to build a wall not a code.
It's how you keep walls from intersecting with other walls when you do not want them to intersect (for example, walls to be demolished from new walls) -- it's not computer programming, it's a Layer Combination setting.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
jbArch
Newcomer
It only makes you crazy until you learn to use it... then you see that it is kind of powerful. For example you can have a wall cause an intersection some times but not others, depending on how you set up your layer combos. I put demo walls on a layer that intersects w/ existing walls for demo plans, but doesn't intersect when hidden (on my reno plans).
Hence wrote:
"Layer intersection group Number"? what dose that even mean
These are the numbers to the left of the layer name (when you open the layer dialog box). Probably a number 0 or 1 by default. 1s will intersect with 1s, 2s with other 2s, etc. The really neat thing is that you can assign different numbers with each layer combo.

I understand your frustration if you are in a small office with archicad newbies. I work by myself and scratch my head all day over these things, since there is not a resident expert at the next desk.
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
Learn and get certified!