Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Material editing for Curtain wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
With curtain wall tool can we edit different material?
For example:
Wood for profile for construction,
Alluminium for bar

Thank you for your kind help.
11 REPLIES 11
Dwight
Newcomer
See the attached for how to access the separate elements - the boundary, transoms and mullions can each have separate surface materials.
curtain wall2.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your answer.
But I mean, the different material editing for caps and mullion (or transom).
As example I show the profile I made with construction tool.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
The "Modular Frame 12" is similar to what you want, but you can only assign it one material. I've modified this part to allow a second material for the cap (see attached). I don't know what version of AC you are on, so the part was created in AC12.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Laura
This ist AC 13. But same like AC 12.
It is possible to have the different material with "Modular Frame from library object" as you sugested. Modular frame is Library object.
But it is impossible to have the different material with "curtain wall tool".
Curtain wall tool is not ADD-ON and not GSM.
It makes not so much trouble for construction drawing work.
It makes just not so easy to have rendering work if you want to haver different material of cap.
I hope in the future we can have more flexibility for editing material in "curtain wall tool".
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Markus wrote:
But it is impossible to have the different material with "curtain wall tool".
It worked for me when I gave it a quick test.

Go to the appropriate Frame panel (Boundary/Mulllion/Transom) and select the "Modular Frame" profile (or "Modular Frame 12 _LJY") instead of the "Generic" profile. Materials are designated under "3D Representation" in the Parameters list.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is great waht you talk.
I will try it. If I have problem,may I ask you one more time?
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Markus wrote:
I will try it. If I have problem,may I ask you one more time?
I've attached a screen shot if it helps...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perfect!
Now I am considering how I can make own profil to change material...
I mean, in order to load the profile as you made.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm getting a strange sense of deja-vu here! This thread is nearly word for word identical to this thread! Even the modifications to the library part are the same!

Markus, the curtainwall tool is actually made of a series of individual library part components, the overall dimensions of each being controlled by the settings within the curtainwall tool.

The frame object Laura and I both posted can be used for any of the frames in the curtain wall in AC12 & 13 once it is loaded into your library. To do this, place the gsm file into the folder where you keep your custom library parts, then in ArchiCAD open the Library Manager, check this folder is already loaded, and press reload.

Now go to the curtain wall settings. Please refer to the attached image.

1. In the Frames section select 'Boundary'.
2. Select the frame selection button above the parameters, and you will see the object you just loaded listed in the available frames.
3. Select this object.
4. Under the '3D Representation' section of the parameters you will find a new Cap Material option that allows you to choose the cap material separately from the main frame material.
5. Once you are happy with the settings of this frame you can optionally click the 'Unform Frame Classes' button at the top to make the boundary, mullion, and transom frames identical to one you have just set up.

Make any other changes you need to the general settings, then press OK. Draw the curtain wall on plan, and have a look in 3d to see what it looks like!

I hope the process is clearer for you now. Good luck!
curtainwall_materials1.jpg