BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Vray Rendering

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a new conference room interior I finished. I used Archicad 12, Sketchup 6, and Vray for Sketchup. Any comments or critiques are most welcome.

Render and setup time was less than a day. Render time 30 min.

Justin

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey, I've made one AC --> VRay rendering too. My first VRay scene actually. I made the mistake of trying to model the sofa in MAX and using an ugly material in the carpet.
oh valmis_lowquality.jpg
owen
Newcomer
nice work ... rendered in Max? VRay really is great to work with and very predictable once you get the hang of not needing to fake things anymore (fill lights, etc)

Couple of things i would work on (C4D user, sorry if i don't know the Max terms):

1. Color balance/saturation to remove the orange hue - not all, just tone it down. I know it is physically correct based on the color of the floor and light but i would still correct this either in the VRay Phys Cam or in Post. The human eye will see the walls as much closer to white than a camera will. I won't get into the LWF method as i am still coming to terms with that myself.

2. Texture on walls/ceiling - scale is too large IMO. Try 1/10th and maybe tone the Bump down a little. You should not really notice the texture/bump unless you really look, but it will make a difference vs a simple flat surface.

3. Pull the furniture, paintings, etc away from adjacent elements a little. Will help add small shadows behind/around things to add to the realism. Nothing is ever hard against things or square in real life.

4. Maybe put some sort of night-scene picture outside the windows just to add a bit of depth. Getting picky now

keep it up!
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
owen wrote:

2. Texture on walls/ceiling - scale is too large IMO. Try 1/10th and maybe tone the Bump down a little. You should not really notice the texture/bump unless you really look, but it will make a difference vs a simple flat surface.

3. Pull the furniture, paintings, etc away from adjacent elements a little. Will help add small shadows behind/around things to add to the realism. Nothing is ever hard against things or square in real life.

4. Maybe put some sort of night-scene picture outside the windows just to add a bit of depth. Getting picky now
Yes, the bump is a bit too strong. I hate too flat surfaces so I often end up overdoing surface texture.

Point #3 is golden! I never noticed this problem in the picture, but when you point it out, the cabinet-wall border looks very stupid.

The background actually is a toned down night-scene picture. The light spots would appear brighter in reality but I had to tone it down to hide the wrong scale of the image.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Colyer lloyd, very impressive renders!

Im leaning towards using vray for Sketchup to do my renderings, but Im having trouble getting the 3ds model that I import into sketchup to work.

I dont understand why but even after I have exploded the model, I cant select certains parts of the model, for example the roof slopes.
When I try to apply a new vray material this doesnt work either.

The model is there, it looks great, just like the original in Archicad 13 I created, but I just cant do anything with it once its in sketchup.
I can render a scene with vray, but I cant edit the model, to apply better textures/ materials.

I would like to explore vray, do some rendered floor plans the same way you have, but Im stuck, can you give me any advice on how to do it properly?
Is there anything I can be doing in preparing the archicad model to make the model work in sketchup?

any help would be much appreciated

merci
Lucy
Anonymous
Not applicable
When you import a file into Sketchup, depending on the complexity of the scene, there may be a lot of cleanup to do in the model. You will have to explode everything twice, as Sketchup makes the entire scene a group and everything inside that group is a component.

Justin

Conference Room

Learn and get certified!