BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

irregular shapes of opening(windows and doors)

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be great if some body can guide me on how to do irregular shapes of
windows in the twisted tower which i made it by the regular profile object!!!

And in other walls that i am having !!!
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
This is a complicated situation. Obviously, windows and doors can't help you here since they only work when placed in walls.

Furthermore, the twisted shape is irrational - no simple planar element will fit against it.

Here is just one way to cut a glazed opening into an irregular shape - not as a framed window, merely an opening:

1: You've got the shape. Duplicate the shape in exactly the same position and assign the duplicate to a new layer. Hide that layer.

2: Create the opening shape using the complex profile.

eric bobrow's complex profile article from the Archiwiki

Once you've made the shape as a fill, assign it to walls, columns and beams.

If the opening is to be tilted from the vertical, use a complex profile beam as an opening cutter since the beam can be tilted without distortion.

Create a new layer for the beam cutter and make it wireframe.

Insert the beam into the shape and use the Solid Element Operation to subtract a hole. [Page 964 in USA Reference Manual] Make the beam glass on all sides.

Now you have your opening.

Make the layer of the duplicate shape visible. Change the material to glass.

Use the same beam to cut the second shape using the SEO command "intersect" . This will remove the surrounding shape and leave the irregular glass in the irregular hole.

Hide the wireframe layer where the beam cutter is.

Advantages to this method are the ease of moving and editing the shape, since, once the element relationships are established with the SEO commands, changes will automatically follow.

Attached: an exploded view of the elements.
shape windo.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
The cut result.
shape windo 2.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
The wireframe layer where the cutting beam is, made invisible.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Proof that you can now move the cutting shape and the opening will follow.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Proof that editing the complex profile changes the opening in the model.
shape windo 5.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
sumayyeh wrote:
It would be great if some body can guide me on how to do irregular shapes of
windows in the twisted tower which i made it by the regular profile object!!!
And in other walls that i am having !!!
Since you've used OBJECTiVE to make these forms, you may as well make the openings the same way. They're a lot more flexible than complex profiles - you can bend them to curves and they're far easier to rotate and shape in 3D.

Draw the opening shape with a fill, make an elevation profile with OBJECTiVE > Component > New Profile, and bend it to suit with OBJECTiVE > Tools > Bend (refer to attached image).

You can remove the opening shape from the walls forms using Solid Element Operations. And the profile can be freely changed as required (again, refer to attached image).
Ralph Wessel BArch
Learn and get certified!